Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
surviving the summer Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
surviving the summer Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
surviving the summer Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
surviving the summer Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
surviving the summer Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
surviving the summer Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
surviving the summer Empty

surviving the summer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mushrooms

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-04-13

PostSubject: surviving the summer   surviving the summer EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to succulents and this will be my first summer in Melbourne with them. I have a couple of pots with Aeoniums, Sedums and Sennacio... I think. They are in a balcony and rely on me for watering (they won't get rainwater).

I was wondering how they would go in the heat of summer, and what sort of frequency of watering people get up to in summer, especially as I think most of these are dormant through summer. I know it depends on the size of the pot/plant etc so you can't just tell me exactly what frequency, I just wondered how frequently people end up watering their own plants for an idea of a normal range, and how different it is to winter.
I've figured around a week for winter and am thinking about increasing it now that it is getting warm.

Also whether I would need to shelter them from sun in the heat of summer and whether anyone had suggestions on how you do that on a potentially extremelywindy balcony. Bringing them in would be rather not ideal as I need to keep my blinds down pretty much all the time to avoid heating up the unit excessively and they are too big to fit on a window sill. (so they won't get the sun indoors)

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: surviving the summer   surviving the summer EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm from Melbourne too. I'm pretty brutal with my succulents, I water them when I remember too and they cop the full brunt of sun and wind. As long as they haven't gone from somewhere not so sunny to full sun they should be ok, watch for burnt leaves. Most succulents will colour up beautifully if your a little harsher with them (less water and lots of sun).
Back to top Go down

surviving the summer
Page 1 of 1