Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Last water before winter?  Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Last water before winter?  Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Last water before winter?  Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Last water before winter?  Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Last water before winter?  Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Last water before winter?  Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Last water before winter?  Empty

Last water before winter?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi folks,
I have held off watering for the past couple of weeks, seems to be cooling down in Melbourne.
Just wondering when I should stop watering in prep for winter or should I water based on temp?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 12:42 pm

I'm not sure bout growing down there but you probably could give it another water. It's still only march. We are still experiencing the end of the wet season up here but it is a bit warmer I guess. If you don't want to risk it you could always switch to misting.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 1:32 pm

Well I have given them all another water, it has been 3 weeks since their last.
The only 2 that haven't had a drink are the ones I recently repotted, they will have to wait another few weeks.
It's pretty warm today and tomorrow's forecast is fairly warm as well so should be ok for their last drink.
Will be switching to misting from here on.
It's going to be a real challenge not to water them for the many months ahead!
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 2:51 pm

lol yeah. It gets a bit tempting sometimes.
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Just gave all my plants a nice dose of liquid fert today. Took ages! I soaked all 80 or so pots that I have. Since November they have only had the one watering from me and that was about a month ago (temps just got too hot during Summer and most stopped growing). They are outside not sheltered so they will continue to get rain until I bring them undercover around mid May. Some plants will get watered during winter so they don't lose their roots but others will remain completely dry until Spring hits. With watering, temp is a better guide than time of year I think but the best guide is observation of your plants! Once they stop growing no more water!
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks Mitchell,
It's a bit tricky to judge, quiet a few are still growing and I don't want to halt that growth but I'm scared I will kill them with kindness.
My cacti grow in a somewhat sheltered spot which is under the eaves of the house and against a brick wall that retains heat from the day, no rain falls on them so I do have control over how much they get to drink.
I have a few cacti that all the info I've read says no water over winter if the temp is going to be low which I'm sure it will get quiet cold for them even with the shelter they have. A few will be moved inside as I've read they have a very low tolerance for cold weather.

Do you move any of your cacti inside over winter?
What sort of cacti do you grow?

Guess it will all be a bit of trial and error as it will be their first winter but I'd prefer not to lose any.
It would probably be beneficial if I did some more research species specific but the local library has limited books to say the least and the internet is full of contradictions.

Back to top Go down
jk

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Wow I water all my pants though winter, although we don't really have a winter as such. If you stop watering wouldn’t that make them go into rest?
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Yes it will put them into a state of rest. Because it gets cold down in Melbourne it's beneficial to make them rest, cold and wet will make cactus rot.
Some will get a little water but for the most part will remain dry.
That's to the best of my knowledge, relatively new to the world of cacti so just going off what I've researched thus far.
Guess it would be different in qld as it's much warmer up that way.
Back to top Go down
jk

PostSubject: Re: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 10:08 pm

It is a lot harder to get some of the cati to flower as the don't get the extream cold to push them into flower. I have bought plenty of cacti in bud, but in the following years never see them flower again. Some Echinocereus and Trichocerus.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 10:16 pm

That's interesting, I always thought with cacti the hotter the better.
I bought one cactus at the start of flowering and it finished hitch free, be interesting to see if it flowers again next year.
Is it humid in your area? I think humidity can cause problems too?

I'm a bit worried about the impending cold, I have a few cacti that are cold intolerant but guess I will just have to monitor them and hope that I can catch it in time if any problems arise, don't really fancy shifting plants in and out every year.

What sort of cacti do you grow?
I have a real mixed bag at the moment but I'm leaning more towards astrophytum, gymnocalcium, echinopsis and lophophora as my stand out favourites.
Back to top Go down
jk

PostSubject: Re: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 pm

If is very humid. I can grow plenty, but my favourite are Astrophytums, I have just started growing some Ariocarpus and they seem to be growing well. Melocactus mamillaria's grow well up here. I love ferocactus but have a lot of trouble with a bacteria or a fungus I think it is? If I repot them up every year and use sulphur I am having some success.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last water before winter?    Last water before winter?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Last water before winter?
Page 1 of 1