Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Cacti rescue!  Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Cacti rescue!  Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Cacti rescue!  Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Cacti rescue!  Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Cacti rescue!  Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Cacti rescue!  Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Cacti rescue!  Empty

Cacti rescue!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

Cacti rescue!  Empty
PostSubject: Cacti rescue!    Cacti rescue!  EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Found this poor little guy at a treasure and treasure market, in a pot full of sopping wet coco coir.
It's not in the best condition but I'm sure it'll bounce back.
First thing I did when I got home was repot it into a proper cacti blend.
I've never been a fan of this type of cacti, to me they look unnatural but I couldn't just leave it there to face it's inevitable demise.

Cacti rescue!  Image18
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

Cacti rescue!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti rescue!    Cacti rescue!  EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 10:03 pm

It makes me sad that there are so many of these (and other plants) around that will certainly die if nobody buys them. I don't feel sorry for the Gymnocalycium, it's a freak that would certainly die in the wild. It's the Hylocereus that I feel bad for, and other plants that are kept badly but could become great centrepieces of a collection if properly cared for.

I saved one of these before too, and by saved I mean bought and freed of its burden of being a stock. It's now growing nicely.

In the left of the photo there is a brown spot on the scion. Keep a watch on that; it might turn ugly.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Cacti rescue!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti rescue!    Cacti rescue!  EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 10:14 pm

I must say I have more interest in what the stock plant is than the red monster that's growing on it, I thought I might wait until it's a little more settled and then free it from the freeloader!
I saw somewhere you can cut a graft off leaving enough of the stock plant on the graft so that both can live?
The red plant might look nice if it's not waving about 4 inches off the ground.
There are a heap of mis treated plants out there, the only plus side is picking them up cheap when they're on their last legs and nursing them back.
So I'm assuming from your comment, the stock plant is a hylocereus and the red plant is a mutant gymnocalcium.
I'm a little more fond of the red plant knowing it's a gymnocalcium, I am a huge fan of that species!
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

Cacti rescue!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti rescue!    Cacti rescue!  EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 10:27 pm

You assumed right. Mutant red cultivar of Gymnocalycium mihanovichii grafted on (I'm almost certain from the scientific literature on the subject) Hylocereus trigonus.

I tried to root the top off mine when I did it but it just died, maybe because I didn't leave enough stock on it (but that wasn't so bad because I was expecting it to die). The Gymnocalycium has too little chlorophyll to survive so needs to be grafted. The stock will grow fairly quickly but for some reason mine has never really been very healthy, not at all like my Selenicereus megalanthus which grew over two metres in less than a year!
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Cacti rescue!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti rescue!    Cacti rescue!  EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Hmmm, will have to do some research before I make the chop then would seem cruel to rescue the mutant and then let it die.
Hopefully the hylocereus will do well once it's free..

2 meters in a year!? That's insanely fast, who says cacti are slow growing?  Laughing 

While we're on the subject of mutants, do you know what the yellow banana looking cacti is that's grown in the same fashion is?
Back to top Go down
wert

wert

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-02-28

Cacti rescue!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti rescue!    Cacti rescue!  EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 12:54 am

grafted plant "red"
stock (plant red plant is on) "green"

the red stock is a plant that will not grow on its own. it can not photosynthesize.

notice how all plants are green... not just cacti?

funny coloured ones are defective and are always grafted. a plant showing "varigated colour mixed with normal green stuff can be grown ungrafted but one with no green stuff only lasts on a graft.

if you remove that scion it might throw roots but it will not grow and will be very difficult to keep alive.

if at some point the scion grew a green pup or ligament or head or whatever anyone wants to call it... then it may be grown on its own roots succesfully. till then your red head should remain fixed to its green stock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cacti rescue!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti rescue!    Cacti rescue!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Cacti rescue!
Page 1 of 1