Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Rooting zygocactus? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Rooting zygocactus? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Rooting zygocactus? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Rooting zygocactus? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Rooting zygocactus? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Rooting zygocactus? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Rooting zygocactus? Empty

Rooting zygocactus?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eck

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Rooting zygocactus?   Rooting zygocactus? EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 11:48 am

Can anyone suggest a fool-proof method/medium for rooting leaf segments of zygocactus
& similar?

The trick seems to be finding an environment/medium that's moist for long enough,
to encourage roots to form - but not so much as to rot them.

Having no luck at all.  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Rooting zygocactus?   Rooting zygocactus? EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi Eck,
I have never had any luck only using leaf segments. My only tip if you havent already tried it would be to partially break the leaf segment and allow it to partially dry while still attached to the plant.
This should help it form a calus capable of producing new roots.
I saw that method somewhere before (unsure of where) I have never tried it myself. I just wait until I can spare a woody piece of growth and use that.

Hope that helps & good luck!
Back to top Go down
Eck

PostSubject: Re: Rooting zygocactus?   Rooting zygocactus? EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Walker87 wrote:

... I just wait until I can spare a woody piece of growth and use that.

It's a small specimen and the woody stem had rotted.

In a last ditch attempt to save, I'm trying a cheap plastic food container (16x16x5 cm) filled with
1 cm of fine seed raising mix. Being sealed, the soil went in virtually dry with the leaf segments placed
flat on top.  Checked this morning and noticed moisture had formed under the leaf segments despite
the dry soil.  Fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Rooting zygocactus?   Rooting zygocactus? EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 4:58 pm

I have great success with mine by just half-burying lengths of any number of segments in normal potting soil and keeping moist, with or without a drying/callousing period. I've done it in water too but it's more trouble than the benefit it could give. I do it in almost heavy shade and my only problem is that scales sometimes find and infest them. My plants look like S. russelliana but I don't know. Is your plant a new hybrid? They're bred for their flowers so are probably not as tough as the original species but I don't know. If nothing else works then maybe you might be able to graft them.
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Rooting zygocactus?   Rooting zygocactus? EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 7:41 pm

I have not had a Zygocactus for many years, i think the more segments of the plant the better, 4-5 segments will have more of a chance than obviously 1 segment.

About a year ago i successfully grafted one segment on to pereskiopsis, it grew quite well.

The only problem i think was that it was under fluoros, it grew for about 6-10 months, then it started to drop a few segments from the top, i put it in the greenhouse with natural light, it held for a bit then i lost the Zygo, the pereskiopsis was still ok.
Rooting zygocactus? 101_2010
Back to top Go down
Eck

PostSubject: Re: Rooting zygocactus?   Rooting zygocactus? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 11:28 am

Thanks for relating your experiences.  I was surprised at the idea of rooting them in water but apparently it works.  Googling I found this document:
CACSS_Article_Rooting_Epiphytic_Cacti_In_AZ_Leo_Martin.PDF

I had a three segment piece so I've stood it a small spice jar and filled it with 5mm of water.  Will see what happens.

The pic of the grafted segment looks great.  Haven't tried grafting.  I get the impression grafting with pereskiopsis requires a complicated setup (tall enclosed humid environment?)
Back to top Go down
terracottacactus

terracottacactus

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Rooting zygocactus?   Rooting zygocactus? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Nope. I coke bottle with the bottom cut off will work fine!

After a little trial an error pere grafting is super, super easy.
Back to top Go down
Eck

PostSubject: Re: Rooting zygocactus?   Rooting zygocactus? EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Here's an update to my attempts propagating zygo from segments.  In the attached photo one can see 3 segments.  All have roots and one has already started to offset.  Two segments were lost awhile back - either never rooted or began to but died.  I think the "trick" to propagating segments is doing it close to growing season.

For those who may be wondering, the thing in the centre is a Euphorbia Obesa. There is only so much room in the propagation box...

Rooting zygocactus? 15nvr5v
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rooting zygocactus?   Rooting zygocactus? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rooting zygocactus?
Page 1 of 1