Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box Empty

Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box   Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Today this plant I've got flowered. I think it's Orbea variegata but does anyone think otherwise? I found this supposed name for it while trawling the www so it might be wrong.

Image removed

Image removed

Image removed

Image removed

I also tried to pollinate it the "natural" way by fashioning this creation I call the stapeliad box. It's an upturned insect container placed on bricks with the plant inside. The clear part on the floor-roof opens allowing for a jar to get in through the bottom and release a caught fly inside. The fly flies up inside the cage without much risk of the other flies inside escaping. I spent a good part of the afternoon catching flies for it and ended up with ten flies in the box.

Image removed

Any help on the identification or feedback on the stapeliad box design would be much apprecated!

Last edited by Cereoid on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box   Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am

Yes, definitely Orbea (or Stapelia) variegata. Not sure how you'll go getting it pollinated as I don't think they're self fertile - you need two plants of different clones- but sometimes strange things happen, so mightn't be a wasted effort. Also not sure that our flies are built quite right to carry out pollination. Stapeliad pollination is very complex and involves what amounts in simplistic terms to a "key" needing to be presented into a "keyhole"...but you (and the bugs) can get lucky sometimes, so never give up !

Last edited by Navajoa on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box   Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Yes, it is Orbea variegata. I think it would be highly likely that you will end up getting seed pods in no time. My plant has seed pods at the moment and although there are several plants they are all cuttings from one plant which rotted several years ago. This is the second time I've had it set seed. The first time I sprinkled the seeds in a seedling tray and in a couple of days pretty much all the seed had germinated. They all shrivelled up within the next week though as temperatures reached high 30s plus I didn't water them.

So good luck!
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box   Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks for that.

After catching new flies and doing the same thing today I noticed that the flies in the box only wanted to get out, while those outside wanted to get in. I decided to open the box and let the flies do their thing. In two days I only saw one fly with any serious interest in the flower and that was after I took the lid off, so I don't know if my setup really does anything...
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box   Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 10:35 pm

I think the flies here are capable of pollinating stapeliads because I saw this the other day:

Image removed

It's a flesh fly on my plant with a pollinarium attached to one of its legs.

I've also noticed that the plant gets a lot more (over 10 times more, perhaps 100 times more) visitors when it is outside the box compared with inside it, likely to do with the small box size and the reflective walls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box   Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box Empty

Back to top Go down

Orbea variegata? And the stapeliad box
Page 1 of 1