Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
What is it? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
What is it? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
What is it? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
What is it? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
What is it? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
What is it? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
What is it? Empty

What is it?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bblkj

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-12-30

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: What is it?   What is it? EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 10:11 am

So recently, I received my first cactus as a Christmas present, and I have to say, I'm rather attached.

What is it? Img_6713

Problem is, however, the card that came with it just gave me general information on Succulents in general, and provides little information when it comes to identifying this cactus.

Because this is my first privately owned cactus, I have no idea how to take care of it properly, and the internet research I have done hasn't told me much as I don't know what kind of cactus it is.

So now I'm more than slightly paranoid I might accidentally cause the poor thing to sunburn, freeze, rot, spontaneously combust, or any of the other delightful ways I could destroy this plant.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

-L
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 12:06 pm

This is Euphorbia enopla. It is a succulent that happens to look a lot like a cactus. It was one of the first ones I got as well. This is a pretty easy one to look after and grow into some pretty impressive clumps.

If you are going to grow it outside, introduce it to sunlight slowly over a week or two. Its best to let the soil dry out completely between watering.  Water once a week during spring and early summer. If it gets stupidly hot for a while you can water more regularly. Water a lot less frequently during winter.

The standard cactus potting mix is o.k. but I always add an extra handful of coarse sand, blood 'n' bone and some gypsum. Also its important to ensure the pot it is in, has lots of holes for drainage.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by SneakyCuttlefish on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Hello and Welcome !

Firstly, your plant is a succulent, but not a Cactus - It's a Euphorbia, hailing from South Africa.

Looks to be E. enopla or something similar to me. They're pretty hardy, can take bright sun, but if just bought you might want to bring it into the full sun slowly to avoid scorch - that is aclimatise it as it's probably been in a store under less bright conditions. Water once a week or so in Spring Summer and hold off water in the cold months. Make sure the pot has drainage holes in it, most succulents don't like wet feet!

Good luck - and remember one plant is usually just the start of the addiction ! Smile 
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 12:09 pm

haha, sneaky cuttlefish was sneaky and beat me to it!  Wink
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Does this one have the characteristic sap common to most euphorbias? I have a similar looking plant (bit different though) which doesn't have milky sap and is a bugger to get to grow. I've had it a few years from a cutting, it has grown roots and seems fairly happy but I can't seem to kick it into growth mode. Most slow plants of mine have responded to a feed, and I've been giving it all the none-too-subtle hints that I can think of. Anyway back to the question of is it a Euphorbia if it doesn't have the horror sap?
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 9:46 pm

Probably E. enopla but possibly a close relative like E. ferox or something similar. I have an E. enopla and it does have the sap but it is relatively difficult to get it on you, except from on the very new spines (I think they're actually peduncles in this species).
It is one of the species that is inclined to grow in winter so it is fine with some winter water as long as you are careful to make sure it dries out between waterings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is it?   What is it? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is it?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: General Cultivation, Identification & Information :: Cactus & Succulent Identification-
Jump to: