Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) Empty

Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)

Go down 
+7
majcka
cryptocarpa
terracottacactus
rickyscactus
SnowFella
Cereoid
Hellonasty
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Yesterday I was in my front yard gardening away, I was using a big hard bristle brush to dislodge some scale from a Trichocereus when I slipped and caused a 5cm long spine through the middle knuckle of my left hand and straight out the other side. Due to the pain I flinched and this caused the spine to snap off and I was not able to get it out myself.

I took a trip to my local GP who said he wouldn't touch it as it would be difficult to remove. I went to the local Hospital where the doctors cut 2 fairly large holes in my finger and still were not sure they had got it all out. I had a ultrasound where they identified a 7mm long foreign object, I was cut open again but they couldn't find anything, they stitched me up and I was referred to another Hospital for follow up.

Today I attended the second Hospital where they did another ultrasound and couldn't anything... annoying. So now I have got to wait for a week while my body tells the doctors if there is anything left in there via way of a nasty infection, this will be fun.

I will post up a pic soon, bit graphic.

Last edited by Hellonasty on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) 10703462094_715290683d_c

The hole the forceps are in is the entry hole, the one behind is much larger, that is the exit hole.
Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) 10703409135_6633501b00_c
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 6:13 pm

That looks horrible, can you move it all right?

It could have been worse, much worse. There could have been an Opuntia or possibly worse than that, a Euphorbia involved.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Ouch!
Hope they got it all out and you have a swift recovery.

Does remind me of a carpentry injury my dad sustained quite a few years ago. Sanding down some boards for a CD rack for my sister he didn't notice a spliter sticking out before hitting it with the sandpaper, down stroke of the hand pushed the spliter all the way through a finger much like you did. Luckily for him though the neighbour, a nurse, that yanked it out planned ahead and measured the splinter before and after taking pliers to it. That way she could confirm she got the full length of the splinter out and didn't leave anything in there.
Sounds like the docs made alittle bit of an oversight there if they suspect they left 7mm's of splinter in the wound!
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Agggghh that would have HURT!!!!
That would suck heaps bad!!
As long as there is no permanent damage to your finger. that's all you can ask for.

Maybe SnowFella needs some Trichocereus in the garden bed in front of the porch!!!!!!!
No offence Hellonasty.
Was it a Trichocereus Peruvianus??

Ricky
Back to top Go down
terracottacactus

terracottacactus

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Quote :
Maybe SnowFella needs some Trichocereus in the garden bed in front of the porch!!!!!!!
Laughing

Seriously though HN, that looks really awful!

I've copped a fair few spikes in the past, but nothing that ended in a hospital visit! Goes to show how much you love your cacti if you can take a stabbing and still keep them.
I'm living in fear of the day my misses gets spiked and demands them to be removed.
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 pm

That's a hardcore cactus injury you have there for sure. I heard of worse in terms of quantity, an old collector I know fell on his ass on a huge golden barrel, the spines pinned him in position for few hours till his wife heard his cries for help, but as far as severity goes that takes the cake!
I love the way you thought to photograph it and upload to the forum. What a miracle the Internet is, it allows us to share your pain!
You probably don't need to hear this but a few years back I was using a wire brush to get the paint off some rough cedar weatherboards, no gloves, of course, I slipped and ended up with a bunch of three cm splinters from the board above going under my thumbnail down into the knuckle. I know why a similar thing was used as torture cause it is particularly uncomfortable. Anyway the gp cut of my nail off and pulled out what he thought was all if it. I found out a couple of weeks later, by way of a lot of discomfort, that there was still one about 3mm wide and 15 mm long in there going from the base of where my thumbnail had been down into my knuckle. I sterilised some tweezers, dug down into the wound grabbed the top of it and pulled it out with a great gush of bloody pus. When I saw how big it was and where it had come out of it made me feel a bit sick to be honest.
Apologies for the poorly timed over share Hn. Hope it gets better soon and all is well!
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Cheers for the well wishes it helps Smile

Yes it was a T. Peruvianus (Icaro) that bit me, nice long spines on this one. I just hope I don't have to get it cut open again, twice was enough Smile

HN
Back to top Go down
majcka

majcka

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2013-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 12:50 am

I do wish you well. No infection is included. I know how it feels if you have a sepsa, so it's no fun.

Best wishes!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://picasaweb.google.com/home
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 9:31 am

Thanks majcka Smile
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Oh that is just brutal. Hope you're o.k. mate.
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Lovely trophy wound there. The very same week that a mate has offered me some Peruvianus offcuts. affraid  Bring it on! Think I'd probably prefer your injury to the one of sitting on a giant golden barrel though.
Hope you heal quickly and don't have to stuff about with the pain and hassle that further infection/surgery would involve.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks SG Smile
Back to top Go down
jk

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Owe! that is a terrible, hope you recover fast and no infection. I guess we all live in fear of falling into our gardens, or plants.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 3:04 pm

Ouch!!! Occupational... errrr... Hobby hazard! Speedy recovery to you !

Travelling companion of mine fell into an Opuntia on our last trip to the States. Lucking it wasn't a glochid type but it had wicked long 4-5 inch spines. He couldn't pull the main offender out of his calf due to the barbs, so just had to cut it off and leave it in for the rest of the trip. When he got back to the UK they cut 2" of spine out of it !
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Wow that's a gnarly story Nava. Your friend would have been in a world of hurt.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Luckily he's a tough old buuger! Lots of blood when he tried (unsuccesssfully) to remove it himself back in the motel room...wonder what the maid thought when she saw the towels LOL !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)   Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic) Empty

Back to top Go down

Cactus Injury !! Arrrgh it hurts (graphic)
Page 1 of 1