Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Ant Infestations Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Ant Infestations Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Ant Infestations Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Ant Infestations Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Ant Infestations Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Ant Infestations Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Ant Infestations Empty

Ant Infestations

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kandahar

Kandahar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-09-06

Ant Infestations Empty
PostSubject: Ant Infestations   Ant Infestations EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 12:38 pm

The other day I was relocating a few of my potted cacti and underneath one of my Ferocactus Rectispinis. Cannaple, i found ant eggs, and I'm talking almost a centremetre deep of ant eggs, so what is the best way to rid my potted ones of these annoying critters?
With my carnivorous plants I normally just submerge them in water for fifteen minutes or so and drown the bugs that live in the pot.....

Thanks in advance
~Kandahar
Back to top Go down
jk

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Ant Infestations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ant Infestations   Ant Infestations EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 4:30 pm

I have dusted on my benches with a small amount of bagon powder, I too have had lots of problems!!
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

Ant Infestations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ant Infestations   Ant Infestations EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 6:15 pm

10 to 15 minutes in water won't hurt most cacti mate, I've drowned mealy infested plants for longer than that in a mix of water and soap without any harm.
Fair enough they have been bare rooted when I've drowned them but drowning a potted one shouldn't really be more harmful than a deep watering is.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Ant Infestations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ant Infestations   Ant Infestations EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Use any Insecticide that contains the active ingredient chlorpyrifos although it might be hard to get it used to be used to kill white ants but be careful it is very poisonous. I use it as a spray and it kills everything except spider mite but kills mealies and ants very well.
You can buy a ant and beetle killer from bunnings the active ingredient used to be clorpyrifos but they have change it. My local horticultural shop still sells they old type which is a granule and i mix this in with my potting mix when repotting and so far seems very good at keeping the root mealy away.
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-09-06

Ant Infestations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ant Infestations   Ant Infestations EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 9:45 pm

I will submerge the pots tommorow or the next decent week weather wise, while I try and find the apropriate Insecticide, pests are a major issue here (I am even starting to build a cage type thing to stop damn possums) so I want to keep on top of all the creepy crawlys.

Many thanks!
~Kandahar
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ant Infestations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ant Infestations   Ant Infestations Empty

Back to top Go down

Ant Infestations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Around The Fire-
Jump to: