Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

» New Forum Now Open!!
Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 am

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti Emptyby eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti Emptyby EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti Emptyby cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti Emptyby nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kandahar

Kandahar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-09-06

Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti Empty
PostSubject: Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti   Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 4:37 pm

weird things have been happening lately. I recently moved to a MASSIVE cane farm and all of my 70 odd collection are in pots because I move around alot. The other night i got home really late from work and just felt weird haha so i went out the back and had a ciggy and was doing my usual walk around of the family and i found a TBM pulled out of its pot but no bite marks, a huuuuge chunk out of a Difussa i have and then i got home today and the bastard had chewed on a really big TBM i own. Oh and it also managed to have a crack at a couple of my Erioscyce Islayensis but what makes it weird, on both occasions, i have had the most vivid dreams of me just cutting up all my fav cacti!

I notice the little bugger dosent go for other ones which arent around a eff off huge wattle bush in the yard.

End rant. Haha. Little bugger is annoying me. Any tips on detering such critters that like to knaw at the cacti?

~Kanda
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti   Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 8:33 am

I've had issues with mice/rats that have eaten entire plants however they avoid the really spiny plants for obvious reasons. You will know it if is rodents because the damage will only occur over night and they will leave behind the skin (they don't eat it) and droppings depending on if they are mice or rats (two completely different animals by the way) the droppings will be much bigger for rats but are both the shape of an ellipse shape.

You can get the small red pellets by Tomcat which WILL kill any mice or rat, the problem is it tastes so good anything else will eat it too, be very very careful with that stuff I can't stress it enough, I.E. the neighbours cat, possums, birds, dogs and I have even heard of people loosing sheep from it, it will kill the lot. That being said probably the only thing that will kill off a large population of rats.

I have have a mate who lives on a property who had problems with rabbits and let me say they caused all sorts of devastation to his cacti and other plants.

I would buy two traps a small mouse trap $1 and a larger rat trap $3 put peanut butter on them and see what turn up.

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Possum (or something) keeps eating my cacti
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Around The Fire-
Jump to: