Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

» New Forum Now Open!!
Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 am

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. Emptyby eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. Emptyby EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. Emptyby cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. Emptyby nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering..

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kristy4740

Kristy4740

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-01-04

Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. Empty
PostSubject: Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering..   Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. EmptySat May 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Happy Saturday all!

Having never grown from seeds before and never collected seeds from plants before, I am just wanting to very basic information - A couple of my plants which I would like more of are flowering right now... See photos below.

Can I get seeds from these? When do I do it, how do I know the right time to do it? Do I then have to wait a period of time before trying to grow from the seeds? Any basic information would be great...

Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. Flower1
Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. Flower2
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering..   Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering.. EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:14 am

Hi Kristy,
Firstly you will need 2 of the same plants but different clones to produce seeds. When the flowers are open using a brush or tweezers remove the pollen from one flower and place it into the other flower of a different plant and repeat the process back that is it. Soon if successful a fruit will grow and seeds should follow. Depending on the species seeds can take from 2months to six to develop they will usually change color when the are ripe.
I find that warmer weather helps the pollen become lose and easier to collect. Most seeds when ripe can be sown straight away or up to 2 years later after that they will start to lose viability.
Back to top Go down

Beginner Question... Couple of plants flowering..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Propagation: Seeds & Vegetative-
Jump to: