Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
New Greenhouse !!!! Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
New Greenhouse !!!! Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
New Greenhouse !!!! Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
New Greenhouse !!!! Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
New Greenhouse !!!! Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
New Greenhouse !!!! Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
New Greenhouse !!!! Empty

New Greenhouse !!!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: New Greenhouse !!!!   New Greenhouse !!!! EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I finally got off my bum and bought a proper greenhousE. It is 2.5m wide x 3.7m long and come in kit form. I will post some pics of the build in this thread. Very excited.

HN
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: New Greenhouse !!!!   New Greenhouse !!!! EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Awesome HN, you planning on filling it with any specific kinds of cacti, or is it overflow from the rest of the collection?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New Greenhouse !!!!   New Greenhouse !!!! EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Great cant wait to see some pics. I am sure you will have a lot of fun putting it together and filling it.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: New Greenhouse !!!!   New Greenhouse !!!! EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm going to "try" and fill it slowly with mostly Mexican miniatures such as Ariocarpus, Astrophytum, Lophophora etc.

I have a heap of work to do on the ground/base layer before I can even start. Any suggestions regarding the base would be helpful, currently the site is grass which I plan to remove, even it up with road base/concrete aggregate etc and then either pave (I have some old ones) or fill it with some rock like scoria or blue metal. Just for info I won't be putting anything in the ground it is simply storage Smile

Any ideas ? or hints, CC ?

HN
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: New Greenhouse !!!!   New Greenhouse !!!! EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 3:18 pm

I'd make sure it had good drainage, and maybe put in weed matting under the pavers or gravel
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: New Greenhouse !!!!   New Greenhouse !!!! EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 2:44 pm

If nothing is going to be planted in the ground you could just use a base of scoria or maybe some Lilydale topping (aggregate) and hire a compactor to ram it flat.

Ideally, I would raise the base about 6-8 inches above the surrounds and edge it with strong timber like redgum, then rammed aggregate to act as a floor. If it's going to be be a permanent addition to the yard you might as well do it properly from the beginning and have a result that lasts. Wink
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New Greenhouse !!!!   New Greenhouse !!!! EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 3:12 pm

I am not that fussy i think road base nicely compacted then a thin layer of builders sand or concrete sand is fine. Small pebbles are good but expensive same as marble chips etc. Pavers and or concrete will increase temps i think. As long as your benches are secure base is a matter of personal preference 2 of my hothouses had no prep to the floor and occasionally i have to remove the odd weed but it is fine another 2 i fussed a little more and used a road base to make level then weed mat followed by 30mm concrete sand or paving sand is fine. Have fun and good luck filling the new hothouse cant wait to see a variety of progress shots.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: New Greenhouse !!!!   New Greenhouse !!!! EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Ok thanks for the info everyone I appreciate it. The build will be a little slow but I will get there eventually. Little busy at present.

I will be sure to post some progress shots Smile

HN
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Greenhouse !!!!   New Greenhouse !!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

New Greenhouse !!!!
Page 1 of 1