Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Sick stapelia grandiflora Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Sick stapelia grandiflora Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Sick stapelia grandiflora Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Sick stapelia grandiflora Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Sick stapelia grandiflora Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Sick stapelia grandiflora Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Sick stapelia grandiflora Empty

Sick stapelia grandiflora

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gypsyqueen

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-04-30

PostSubject: Sick stapelia grandiflora   Sick stapelia grandiflora EmptyThu May 05, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm not sure if anyone can help me here but my stepelia grandiflora seems to be going downhill since i bought it about a month ago. It had a couple of soft tips when I got it, but it has gotten worse, I am desperate to keep it alive!
Sick stapelia grandiflora 006com13

Last edited by gypsyqueen on Thu May 05, 2011 5:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
gypsyqueen

PostSubject: Re: Sick stapelia grandiflora   Sick stapelia grandiflora EmptyThu May 05, 2011 1:53 pm

I cant figure out how to show a photo!
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Sick stapelia grandiflora   Sick stapelia grandiflora EmptyFri May 06, 2011 6:17 am

The photo has worked fine for me. I've noticed a similar thing on mine and I'm wondering whether it is either sunburn or cold damage. Two opposite problems, however both can really impact the soft new growth.

What can you tell us about its growing conditions?
Back to top Go down
gypsyqueen

PostSubject: Re: Sick stapelia grandiflora   Sick stapelia grandiflora EmptyFri May 06, 2011 8:29 am

well, i only recently bought it, from a nurseryman whom I have known and trusted for years, and has supplied many of my plants. When I picked it up at the nursery to have a closer look, it keeled over! had not much of a root system at all, but they were fresh young roots, and I couldn't see any sign of disease on them. I assumed it was a cutting, as is often the case from this particular nursery. The guy propped it up with 3 bamboo stakes for me, and I bought it anyway. (he also gave me a cutting from a stapelia gigantica for free!) At that point it had a piece about 1cm on a tip (or two) that looked blackish, then dried to yellowish/brownish. I have not re potted it yet, as I have not really had time, but watching it get worse, i feel really bad, and need to do something. I have not watered it too much, as with my other succulents, and it is under my veranda, in a fish tank that has the front side missing (I thought it would give a few things some extra protection) it gets afternoon sun, but not directly, like, I don't think its sun burn, I have worried about the cold though.
Back to top Go down
scarab

scarab

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Sick stapelia grandiflora   Sick stapelia grandiflora EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 9:03 pm

i have one that was all sick and doing something similar. basically the stems got really limp and skinny but they werent rotting. some of the tips totally shrivelled off. i thought it was on its way out, as i have had quite a few staps die from too much water (wrong soil mix as well perhaps). but my partner ... watered it. is all good now! plump again.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Sick stapelia grandiflora   Sick stapelia grandiflora EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Oddly enough, my sick-looking Stapelias have perked up now that they are planted out in the garden beds. They are great plants, however their habit of attracting swarms of bluebottle flies is a tad disconcerting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sick stapelia grandiflora   Sick stapelia grandiflora Empty

Back to top Go down

Sick stapelia grandiflora
Page 1 of 1