Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

» New Forum Now Open!!
Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 am

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? Emptyby eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? Emptyby EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? Emptyby cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? Emptyby nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? Empty
PostSubject: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptySat May 03, 2008 1:27 pm

C. Repandus?

Anyone grown it to fruiting height? Is it really edible? Is it this plant?

The story if you're interested is... I live on a large sugar cane farm, I am very lucky to live in an old Queenslander on 520 acres of cane and forest.

I stumbled across this puppy one day while cycling round the cane (not long before I saw a beautiful red belly black snake and then a blac whip snake). So I remembered its location and set back off to it a little later on.

I didn't really consider how steep the bank was, but it's a 5 metre drop down to the river below. I thought I could get a cutting of it, take it home and plant it...

So I set out to find a suitable pointy stick (but I photographed it first luckily).

I poked and I prodded - notice there's two small shoots in the centre left. I managed to free one, but because it's on such a steep angle on the bank it fell down the bank and floated down the river Sad

I was much more careful with the second shoot. I knocked it off and carefully tried to lever it back up the bank. Unfortunately I was being bitten by ants protecting their nest that I was percariously crouched down on and balancing with just one foot. Unfortunately I slipped and so did the cactus. So I gave up.

But I decided that I could see if maybe that bit didn't float down the river, so i circled down to the river and spied my prize possession hanging very close to the edge of the bank. It hadn't even fallen in the river. So with some careful aiming I threw rocks at it. I dislodged it, but it gor caught up and my aim was too far off.

So I decided to forget it till I could get some help.

I went back today with my girlfriend and we began throwing more rocks at it. Though this time we were prepared. i had a net and was ready to catch it.

Still couldn't dislodge it. But now with both of us I was able to go up to the top and knock it into the river.

With my girlfriend wading waiste deep we managed to pluck the wee Cerus to safety and have since planted it.

Can you tell me what species it is? Am I correct with it being C.Repandus?

Cheers

Paul

Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? N824030494_2940370_5934

Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? N824030494_2940371_6270
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptySat May 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Definitely not C. peruvianus.

slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptySat May 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Possibly C. repandus?
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptySat May 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Dunno, never heard of it. Have you tried looking up that species on the cactaceae
site.

Can't say i'm that into Cereus sp. I find them a bit ugly, that's just my opinion though.

slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptySat May 03, 2008 2:07 pm

Yeah, not hugely pretty, but still an awesome cacus...

Thanks for the link... never knew it existed!

Still very hard to find though... Need a cactus key Smile
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptySat May 03, 2008 2:36 pm

There is a good cactus key or two even on the net, will have look for the link later for you.

slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:23 am

Hmmmm - Could this be a Trichocerus species?

Wow they're difficult to tell apart!

On another note - back to C.Repandus I understand that the fruit is edible (but maybe bland) and perhaps even the stalks are edible. It is supposedly one of the most under utilized plants (as wiki states).

Has anyone eaten this? Is it worth growing as a food?

As far as I can tell they should grow quite well up here in Cairns.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 5:44 pm

Definitely not Trichocereus sp. notice the flattened ribs? Only Cereus sp. has these. Trichocereus sp. has much broader/fatter ribs.

slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Ahhhhh thanks Trig... I am trying to find the differences, even subtle ones, that are between the genus etc...

This is why a good cacti key would come in handy.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 5:53 pm

Are you trying to drop me subtle hints about cacti keys? Hmmm I suspect you are. Would you like me to look for the cactus key fro you? tongue

slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Subtle? I'm about as subtle as a preganant hippopotumus at the local swimming pool.

Smile

I tried to find the keys so i wouldn't have to continually ask.. Can you ID my cactus please.... Just like in this thread:

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/cactus-identification-f16/some-ids-please-t104.htm (hint number 2)

I purposely purchased $2 worth of wooden iceblock sticks to stake into the cacti pots fully labelled... These iceblock sticks are being poorly utilised at present because of my lack of knowledge in nomenclature...

And plus I like to see people argue about what's what... I guess all I need is the genus and I can try hunt it down from there Smile
Back to top Go down
Haga

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 6:15 pm

those iceblock sticks will rot eventually. im using a few at the moment but dont think they are ideal.

i have started to get big plastic yoghurt containers and cut them up into strips. one white side to write on.
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 6:22 pm

Good idea with the yogurt containers. I had set out to buy plastic ones specially - but... they had none at the local cut price shop...

So the iceblock sticks are fine... They shouldn't rot too quickly as they're supposedly meant to be dry I guess.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 6:27 pm

A storm washed in about 200 plant labels in my area last winter. I am set for a while for proper plant labels. SCORE!!!

Here is one decent cactus key: http://cactiguide.com/

Will have a look for an easier one, but this was the one I was thinking of.

I have seen your ID request thread, though most of those cacti are unfamiliar to me so I didn't want to jump in, might upset Lachy, just joking Lachy, you definitely have some good knowledge to share.

slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 6:29 pm

Thanks trig.... and a pre-emptive thanks to Lachy Smile
Back to top Go down
Gracie
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 9:53 pm

re the labels: a grower near me uses micro ventetion blind slats. very good too and cheap. just put a few slatss together and cut through them then snip the corners to avoid the sharp corners. buy them at local recycle places.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kilomuncher.com
cactidan

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 2:26 am

Do you know what it is yet I have a 10 ' er My self got it at Walmart ????
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 2:20 pm

Fantastic find and story, gave me a good laugh!!! I'd be interested to know as well as cactidan if you ever identified it.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 1:23 pm

I'm trying to id a similar plant I found growing up the road.

After rummaging around I found that Cereus peruvianus (originally described by Linnaeus) is no longer a valid name. Now it seems it can be either C.repandus or C.hildmannianus.

At the moment I'm trying to find what the differences are between those 2 spp. If I find out anything useful Ill let you know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?   Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus? Empty

Back to top Go down

Cerus Repandus? or Cerus Peruvianus?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: South American Cacti-
Jump to: