Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Talk about a dud buy Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Talk about a dud buy Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Talk about a dud buy Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Talk about a dud buy Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Talk about a dud buy Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Talk about a dud buy Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Talk about a dud buy Empty

Talk about a dud buy

Go down 
+2
Lachy
SnowFella
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Turns out I can't walk through Bunnings nowadays without checking out the cactus section, and most of the times I end up walking out with a little one or 2.

Went to pick up some shelving for the garage and ended up coming home with this little guy, labeled as Oreocereus celsianus, aswell as a pretty little Rebutia heliosa. Turns out I should of checked over the Orecereus alittle closer before taking him home though. Laughing

Talk about a dud buy Photo061t.th

Yup, that's a tootpick straight through the cactus. Checked him over alittle closer when I got home and realised it's 95% an empty shell without anything inside, masterfully camoed up by the hairs. Could poke that tothpick straight through without asmuch as touching flesh! Still seem to be attached to the soil by a rot though so I'm thinking about just leaving him be and see what happens next.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Ah, that sucks. Bunnings seems to overwater their stock, and the Oreocereus are really sensitive in my experience to this sort of treatment.

Unfortunately, I'd say that your cactus is, well... cactus. It's a goner.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Yup, figure it's cactus aswell. Laughing
But it won't really hurt keeping it on the shelf, those shelfs are pretty darn bare due to the fact I've only had the "bug" for a matter of months, and see what time will bring. Likely nothing but call it my own little science experiment....much different from the cactus related experiment I tried in my youth that involved a BB gun and an M. geometrizans. Although I have to concede that both experiments involve quite a sizeable hole in a cactus Embarassed
Back to top Go down
catuscatus1

catuscatus1

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 12:21 pm

how did you not see the toothpick when you brought it,
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Suspect

Wasn't there when I got it mate. Put it through through myself to illustrate the extent of the hole. Wink
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 8:28 pm

catuscatus1 wrote:
how did you not see the toothpick when you brought it,

hehehehehehehehehehehe GOLD Wink
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Guess this is the end of my little science experiement. Gave it a gentle tugtest a few minutes ago and the head came clean out of the pot without any real force involved.
Ended much the same as the mentioned BB gun experiment...lol
Guess I'll have to start keeping my eyes open for a new Orecereus or something similar.

Edit: looks like the Golden Barrel I planted out last week, ofcource the evening before we had a 35mm dump of rain in 10 minutes combined with hail, is starting to look funky too. Not sure if it's from the rain or sunburn from the last few days, lobes have started taking a deeper green colour but no mushiness to be found yet.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Lester Meyers has a few different varieties of Oreocereus for $2 I will pm his address if you want, he only deals via snail mail...Oreocerus trolii is awesomely spiny and hairy.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks. Not really nessesary though as I'm more of an impulse buyer of cactii rather than a collector. If I spot something I like I'll grab it but mostly without any previous intent.
Back to top Go down
tripsis

tripsis

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 11:11 am

Did you take it back to Bunnings to throw at the garden managers face? (not literally, but a refund would be in order, on principle in the least)
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 4:26 pm

Nah, just wasn't worth the hassle for a $5 cactus. Just chalked it up as a "lessons learned" thing and moved on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talk about a dud buy   Talk about a dud buy Empty

Back to top Go down

Talk about a dud buy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: South American Cacti-
Jump to: