Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Headaches with tricho's Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Headaches with tricho's Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Headaches with tricho's Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Headaches with tricho's Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Headaches with tricho's Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Headaches with tricho's Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Headaches with tricho's Empty

Headaches with tricho's

Go down 
+3
Lachy
blowng
AmnesiA
7 posters
AuthorMessage
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Just wondering if anyone else is having any major issues with Tricho's this year? The weather up here in east gippsland has been really hot and quite high humidity and im having some serious black plague appearing on quite a number of plants in the garden. nothing dead but really unsightly. it's made some perfect plants look like absolute trash bags. has anyone had any success combating this evil bacteria. or is it just a simple case of too bad too sad due to the weather?

any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
-A
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 12:47 am

I read somewhere , avoiding the use of nitrogen containing fertilizers helps reduce the spread, but im not too sure...
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

PostSubject: Re: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 7:57 pm

Thanks Blowng, might have to check the fert i used last and look into that one, If I get a chance I'll PM you a pic of one that got some black spots the size of bloody tumors. (not quite) but still a sight to see. funny pic.

nice to see so many views and so little replies Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 8:40 pm

I've got only the usual suspects growing here - PC Pedro, a couple of peruvians (including a pair of brown spined, blue skinned critters), a few pach x scop hybrids and a handful of penis plants, and none seem to be suffering at all from the rain. All are grown outdoors, about a half in the ground, and the bulk of their feeding is good old pelletised chook poo.

I suspect that while trichs like a fair amount of water they do also like good drainage, and continual cold wet feet certainly don't help them along. I also reckon that if they get too dry for too long they can develop a susceptibility to rotting.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Show us a pic AmnesiA, Trichos are tough buggers....... generally.
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

PostSubject: Re: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 6:38 pm

I had it happen in a normal occurrence few dots here or there over my collecting years, cant be helped, but yeah as I said the humidity seems to be causing some major grief for me. that or I've got some serious AIDS goin on here.
I know Prier has been looking into finding out some more detailed info into what causes blackdeath ooze on tricho's and it seems it most def is fungal. strange that it never really affects anything else tho. and I doubt it's wet feet related as some of the other things planted outside would collapse and rot well before a tricho ever would. Anyhoo this is one smaller fellow that really showed some awesome symptoms. Never have I seen them bulge so large(It did get a little larger before stopping) he calloused over tho tough little bugger.

Shocked

Headaches with tricho's 76752_10150125542263294_815828293_7816340_5749930_n
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 7:43 pm

Hmm... I've seen similar things happen to a couple of small trich pups I was trying to get to throw roots, but both calloused over and no further harm came of them. I have also seen similar things happen to Myrtillocactus geometrizans and Cereus peruvianus. I have mainly seen it occur in cold, wet conditions, but beyond that I can offer no help or advice.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 9:32 pm

I had a mid cut that refused to produce a healthy pup, just as they got big enough to de-graft they'd get severe black-rot spreading right to the tip, I got so frustrated and probably should have disposed of it, but being not one to give in, I grafted the next pups' tip onto globular Echinopsis and now its growing fine no sign of rot. Hahaha... take that rot!
Back to top Go down
cooky173

cooky173

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 12:11 am

I get this happening on tephrocactus papyrcanthus
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 2:54 am

I have thought about this for a while and have some theories about it

I think it's bacterial

It lives in the clone and it's usually heavily propagated clones that prove black plague positive.

But it can probably even come in the seed.

Some clones are worse than others.

no known cure.

I am not helping I know
Back to top Go down
tripsis

tripsis

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 11:09 am

That is an unhealthy looking cactus. I've not seen anything like it. i was expecting and oozing black spots that cacti sometimes get, but rarely prove to be problematic, beyond being unsightly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headaches with tricho's   Headaches with tricho's Empty

Back to top Go down

Headaches with tricho's
Page 1 of 1