Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Do you have problems with birds? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Do you have problems with birds? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Do you have problems with birds? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Do you have problems with birds? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Do you have problems with birds? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Do you have problems with birds? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Do you have problems with birds? Empty

Do you have problems with birds?

Go down 
+2
Navajoa
mutant
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Do you have problems with birds?   Do you have problems with birds? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 8:16 pm

This is the third time those fucking birds damage my plants. This time several tips have been beaked nastily, astro fruits full of seed were spilled around messily and mammleuthii graft was very nastily beaked. funk they don't even eat them. I suspect the bright colours attracted them, people in the neibourhood say this is the first year we got them... Even my two Echinocereus rigidissimus ssp. rubispinus got beaked, one at the tip. I was sad at first, when I saw the damage this morning, but now I am angry and polemic.

I am in terminator-mode for good. Some blood must be spilled now

I think this is the bird [I still have some small bird as possible candidate - there's a possibility two species might have done damage]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Magpie

alright...

lets hear some ideas

mine are:

shooting them with an airgun

temporarily protecting them with a grid or something

A hear a scarecrow + a carcass works good [but I have to kill one first]

a trap [easy, no need to play commando with airguns or whatever, I don't even have an airgun]

longterm putting then in a greenhouse, man I have to do this during the summer

I don't like hunters, but it's times like this when a hunters experience is useful. Like a hunter friend of mine which I called for help said "what did you think, man created guns with a purpose" lol. Hunters are always good to defend their practices. Now I have to convince him to lend me his airgun.

Let me know what you think.

Green/non-violent methods are also OK, but I don't think I will follow them anyway. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you have problems with birds?   Do you have problems with birds? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Hang up some old CD's...Birds get scared of the flashes/reflections as they move in the wind...Otherwise....buy a cat ??? Do you have problems with birds? Icon_cat Do you have problems with birds? Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Do you have problems with birds?   Do you have problems with birds? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Orchard netting works well too...
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you have problems with birds?   Do you have problems with birds? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 11:15 pm

Do you have problems with birds? 4659171247_08603cf854That sucks i had the same thing a bird got into a hothouse to keep warm then decided to peck all the nice stuff of about a thousand plants i had three trays of nice stuff. Epithalantha, lithops, frailea, and astro asterias Do you have problems with birds? Icon_mad I was not happy fixed that problem then got f*******g mice like now this was really pi**ing me off so then i opened everything up to my dog she took care of business four dead half eaten rats though she must have chased them over some haworthias i had on the ground about twenty got thrown out Do you have problems with birds? Icon_mad not happy closed off haworthias from the dog and so far no more rats. With birds cds work really good or a shotgun. Now my only pest problem is bloody root mealy it is to the point ive isolated effected area and am repotting everything infected as i dont want to drench anything this time of year i take plants out of pots and clean leave to dry for two weeks then repot inti dry soil wont water until weather warms up again. Pest will always be part of a collection god damn it be good if everything was trouble free. With having a large collection you are always monitoring things as they can easily get out of hand.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you have problems with birds?   Do you have problems with birds? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Ugliest looking cat I've ever seen ! Do you have problems with birds? Icon_lol

Don't think she'll be much help with the root mealy either...except maybe the unpotting bit !
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Do you have problems with birds?   Do you have problems with birds? EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 5:01 pm

I would suggest getting a cat... but I just got one myself about a fortnight ago and the little bloke has already discovered my pebble-mulched garden beds are like really big, landscaped litter trays!
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you have problems with birds?   Do you have problems with birds? EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Its funny i have plants everywere you can see and my dog has never destroyed anything other than my haworthias which wre in her way of catching mice i dont like cats they kill to much native species and you cant keep them in your own backyard if you could i wouldnt have a problem with them. But in saying that i would rather a cat then plants that have been eaten. I had a bird bath in my front garden but all the birds were trashing my garden so i put jellybeans sedum- in the bird bath and rubber snakes around garden no more probs with them. I will put pics under my garden by cactuscook
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Do you have problems with birds?   Do you have problems with birds? EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Yeah, it seems these type of problems go with the hobby Smile

Reflections and bright colours attract this particular bird, which is also the only non-mammal that recognises its reflection on a mirror. Very smart fucker, opportunist, eats everything, from little birds, slugs, seeds, fruits [some of the attacked cacti had fruits] to carcasses.

I have decided to experiment and observe, and maybe learn a thing or two about those birds, before I take one or two of them away, so I might try the CD thing and how they react. Maybe they will distract them from the cacti?

A cat, on the roof... I'm a pretty sure a cat will also do damage and also it's not so practical to keep a cat. In that house.

Eventually I have to scare them away the hard way if they don't leave by their own, which I doubt.

Yeah netting is ok but temporary
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: Do you have problems with birds?   Do you have problems with birds? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 2:39 am

Keeping the vulnerable ones under net

didn't shoot even once [almost shot the wrong bird once]

other tricks like mouse traps & poisoned meat failed but maybe got the message across

I think they sensed my intentions, they don't come very close now and I think they left a nearby tree. but their numbers in the neighbourhood is alarming

I have to build/get a greenhouse on my outside plot

on the positive side, the severely beaked M.leuthii has pupped a lot, so I guess one can also see the bright side of such accidents... I will be doing some leuthii grafts in the future
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you have problems with birds?   Do you have problems with birds? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 am

I have trouble with crows !Huge black crows they only come once or twice in a season but they do some serious damage. Last season one ate the entire tip off a large Tricho (Bridgesii psych00 is anyone was wondering hehehe). The spines don't seem to be a problem because they have a long beak.

If they start coming more often I will have to sort something out. I recently got a dog so I hope this helps Smile he does enough to my plants let alone the crows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you have problems with birds?   Do you have problems with birds? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you have problems with birds?
Page 1 of 1