Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Some nice things. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Some nice things. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Some nice things. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Some nice things. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Some nice things. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Some nice things. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Some nice things. Empty

Some nice things.

Go down 
+10
lewis
QuantumReality
Carlo & Daniele
KanJe
AmnesiA
mutant
cortona
Lachy
Hellonasty
cryptocarpa
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Today my Ariocarpus were showing off so I thought I would follow their example...
From front to back left side is fissuratus, bravoanus, kotschoubeyanus.
Right side is scaphirostris, hintonii, agavoides.

Some nice things. 4525540148_6ff8239687_b
The other pictures are of some astros that were part of the recent
degrafting. My old grafts for breeding got mealies so I decided to
degraft and clean them. They probably won't grow roots till spring.
Some nice things. 4524912845_5653f2dbdd
Some nice things. 4525541244_3bc2f5dbbd
Some nice things. 4524912199_fc96b8e070
Some nice things. 4525541758_193735200d
Some nice things. 4525542318_5c5c1e9174

Last edited by cryptocarpa on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Pitty about the mealies ! Some really nice plants there, both the Onzukas are just stunning and the 5 rib Asterias too.

HN
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 9:11 pm

Those are great plants and some superb grafts. I love how well you've got multiple grafts going on single stocks.
Back to top Go down
cortona

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 5:47 am

the second onzuka is simply beautiful! i can do everithing to have one so perfectly shaped and good marked!
nice work the ariocarpus graft too!
realy admired of your work!
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Multi-ario grafts are amazing...

Do you do this at once, or one-by-one, gradually ?
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks for the comments, I feel a bit silly flaunting my plants but at the the same time I also want to share them. I am working to establish a nursery, because I have large numbers of most species I some times get special things. I will keep adding to this thread for a while.
Hn: the five rib plant is actually a Coahuilense X Super K. It really appeals to me too. I have tried These hybrids onto themselves and back onto Super K. The seedling are on own roots mostly so are a bit slow. I hope to get something stable like that plant. it is a long term project.
Cortona:The second onzuka is really choice. It is the best one of around 30 that I did in that lot of grafts. I have used it to breed with. With the cultivars it is necessary to grow many to get really nice select specimens I find.
Mutant: I do them all at the same time. My record is twelve Obregonias on one perry. It used to be I needed to save space and had only a few stocks. Now I mostly do single grafts on top. Side grafting does make it a bit easier to de-graft cause the stock doesn't grow into the scion as much. Problem is the scions get so heavy the plants fall over.
Here are some more photos.

An Ariocarpus hintonii with unusual colouring. There is one tubercle near the base that has a bit of the normal colour.
Some nice things. 4533682633_a753d881c9
I didn't expect either of these two Ario hybrids to survive so I stuck em on the same stock. They both are doing well.Left is Kotschoubeyanus v.elephantidens X Retusus c.v. pectinatus and right is kotschoubeyanus X scaphirostris.
Some nice things. 4534318930_e78882c64e
This pic is another Kotschoubeyanus v.elephantidens X Retusus c.v. pectinatus
Some nice things. 4534318562_705748cd74
A Loph that is variegated. If you look closely there are three colours,
yellow,light green and dark green. Unfortunately the mites love this
one.
Some nice things. 4534317940_fdfdda6b84
Some nice things. 4533682913_aa9feedc4a
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 8:04 pm

Nice one chief, Glad to see you sharing some of your awesome work. I been hanging for this moment for some time now. Few said people have told me how awesome your growing skills are and now we can all admire them and gives us something to aim towards. Kudos! Some nice things. Icon_cheers

Awesome variegate. I must PM you a pic of an astro hybrid I once had and I was gutted it passed away. I think I still have to tag someplace and would love to know if you have one similar or could help me obtain another of similar markings. I'll track down the photo asap.

Keep up the nice work mate
-A
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 8:09 pm

That last hintonii is amazing crypto. The colour is looks it should taste like an exotic fruit.

It's good to see more of your plants here.
We're all suckers for miniatures.
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Nice funky coloured Arios Smile
Back to top Go down
Carlo & Daniele

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 10:10 pm

Remarkable results! Compliments!
Back to top Go down
QuantumReality

QuantumReality

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 11:34 pm

they are all just gorgeous mate! job very well done! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 5:14 pm

the yellow/lightgreen ario hintoni sure looks special.

hey, I haven't yet sown ario seed yet. Last night I was having my first attempts to graft seedlings [some 3-4 months old!!] of strombo & aztekium {!!} [having my expectations pretty low of course]. It's very easy to drop the seedling from your hand and then of course you're not be able to find it!

Are arios so slow as them to get to a size one can handle it properly? I hope not!

Anyways it was an interesting experience and I hope I can get some going by the end of season [that is I hope I don't fail 100% on those tiny graft attempts] since I am afraid I won't be able to get them to a decent size in own roots which is less than 1 mm long Smile .... waiting for 5~7 years?? Most people say they kill them because of drought/ forgetting to water and such.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:56 pm

They are some truly amazing plants. Your variegated arios are easily some of the most striking plants that I have ever seen.
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Pretty average there crypto... Neutral

Nah just kidding, just awesome stuff. Love your work!
I really like the ario in the first pic in the first post... back left side, top scion; look at that spacing between the tubercles, so inflated it looks like it's going to explode!

affraid
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks for all the good comments, I appreciate them. I am getting a big head so I'll take a break for a bit Some nice things. Icon_redface (actually I have a Plant Biology exam on Tuesday that I need to study for) But I will post some more goodies soon.

Lewis; the A.kotschoubeyanus always swell up like that on a perry. I prefer them natural they are flat at ground level with a carrot tap root. They look like stars when grown own roots.

Mutant: Arios are a lot easier than those very small plants . Best to do them under six weeks old I find as they get a bit hard after that. Best of luck with grafting aztekiums if you can do them then no other species(except maybe blossfeldias) will present much of a challenge. Keep em humid for at least a week after grafting and gradually reduce it. i.e in a bucket covered with plastic wrap and put more holes in it each day. Keep ALL bugs off then. I had a half dozen fresh A.hintonii grafts eaten by a tiny caterpiller overnight. Aztekium actually grow quite fast on Perry and seem to have an affinity for it. I find some South Americans like Uebelmannia and blossfeldia are much slower on this stock.

Amnesia,or anyone else; If there is anything you are after feel free to contact me about it. If I don't have what your after I'll try to grow one but it will require a bit of patience. I may be a bit slow to reply to PMs but I will get around to it eventually..

Thanks again for the compliments back soon with more nice things....
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks for valuable info friend!
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptySun May 09, 2010 9:00 pm

No worries Mutant always glad to help an enthusiast. Also wanted to say that the multi grafts are all done at the same time.
These are some pictures from a talk I gave on the subject.

Some nice things. 4587519115_7a6d27e8c5

Last edited by cryptocarpa on Sat May 15, 2010 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyTue May 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Wow these photos are the definition of the saying

1 pic 1000 words or , rather 2 pics 2000 words

thanks a lot, very inspiring!
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyTue May 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Some very nice astro cvs there too Smile
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyTue May 11, 2010 8:31 pm

Wow thats amazing and inspiring!
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyTue May 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Those multiple grafts are simply astounding... you make it look so easy!
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Glad you like em. Actually I have gone off multiple grafts since I have more room and stocks but it is a novelty. Thought this pot with Turbinicarpus booleanus and mammillaria hernandezi was worth postin'. Are the flowers the last of this season or the first of next?
Some nice things. 4601263664_64d2081c09
Seeing this made me happy. Australian born crest of Obregonia denegrii. It is on a graft so should be able to propagate eventually.
Some nice things. 4549664910_007159049f
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Wow love the crest its a real beauty. How old would it be? And was this caused by grafting. Could its offspring from seed also produce a crest. Im interested in crest, monstrose and varigates.I have a couple of each and i am going to experiment with varigated seeds it be interesting how many come out varigated all are astrophytums.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Wow, those things are going bananas with flowers. The mamms are covered in buds. Shocked

I'm loving that Obregonia crest... I reckon yours would have to be the only example I've ever seen of such a thing.
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. EmptyThu May 13, 2010 6:56 pm

I don't think the crest was caused by the graft cause it hasn't happened on any others and I have done a few. Maybe crests are a bit more common on a graft but it might just be the faster growth makes them seem to happen more often relative to the own roots plants. Having said that I can only think of a half dozen all up out of thousands of plants so they are fairly rare grafted or not.
The plant is about 3 years old I think I don't really keep track any more, What I do remember is that it was the weakest seedling in a large batch and I chucked it on a short perry stock that was a bit of a runt too. Needless to say that when I noticed this it started to get the five star treatment. Just goes to show never overlook a weak seedling....
I have seen other examples of this species cresting in Thailand but this is the first in Oz as far as I know. Nice that it is here now means it can be propagated. Assuming it lives long enough. Here is a couple more fasciated Mexicans...
Echinocereus pectinatus I think. Own roots.
Some nice things. 4603594154_e281ec616a
And a Mammillaria that begins with H can't remember which one and it's too dark and cold to go out and check.
Some nice things. 4603594482_3a7b48761b
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Some nice things. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some nice things.   Some nice things. Empty

Back to top Go down

Some nice things.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next