Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Naming question... What does this mean? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Naming question... What does this mean? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Naming question... What does this mean? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Naming question... What does this mean? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Naming question... What does this mean? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Naming question... What does this mean? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Naming question... What does this mean? Empty

Naming question... What does this mean?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TasV

TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Naming question... What does this mean?   Naming question... What does this mean? EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Recently I ordered some seeds from Vlado and recevied a substitute as the ones I wanted were sold out. The ones I wanted were Mamm. senilis. The ones I got as subs were Mamm. senilis f. RS 801EI Salto. What do these extra parts to the name mean? What have I actually got here?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Naming question... What does this mean?   Naming question... What does this mean? EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 8:56 pm

The latter part of the name refers to a location or locality where the seed was collected. As for yours I really don't have a clue, the "Ei Salto" section would normally refer to a town or place.

Hope this helps a little. For the most part it will be virtually identical Smile
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

PostSubject: Re: Naming question... What does this mean?   Naming question... What does this mean? EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks Naming question... What does this mean? Icon_cool , so in terms of naming it do you need to keep quoting this extra information? I think, looking at it again, the last part should read El Salto if it's meant to be a locality name.
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

PostSubject: Re: Naming question... What does this mean?   Naming question... What does this mean? EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 9:29 pm

Ahhhhhhh... I found some extra information based on your advice that it was a locality reference... RS refers to the name of the collector which I think is Roman Stanik, 801 is a collection number and El Salto is a place in Mexico. I got this from this website: http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/Cacti/acronym.html . I'm not sure but I think the 'f' is meant to be cf. which is a nomenclature standard I am familiar with.

This refers to this particular batch of seed: http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/Cacti/fieldno.php?FieldNo=rs801
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Naming question... What does this mean?   Naming question... What does this mean? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 12:20 am

I think the f. in this case just means "forma" or form...But it is handy to be able to google map a town or locality and know where your plant came from...

Ralph Martin has done us all a great service getting that info all in one place...
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

PostSubject: Re: Naming question... What does this mean?   Naming question... What does this mean? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 9:11 am

So, until the taxonomists get to it and decide it is a different and unique species (Naming question... What does this mean? Icon_rolleyes) , it should be labelled in full as shown above then (assuming I can get the seeds to germinate Naming question... What does this mean? Suspect ) and not just Mamm. senillis?
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Naming question... What does this mean?   Naming question... What does this mean? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 2:30 pm

TasV wrote:
So, until the taxonomists get to it and decide it is a different and unique species (Naming question... What does this mean? Icon_rolleyes) , it should be labelled in full as shown above then (assuming I can get the seeds to germinate Naming question... What does this mean? Suspect ) and not just Mamm. senillis?

Yes, definitely. The locality data should be retained with any resulting seedlings/plants and any pure progeny that are produced from those plants. It has both scientific and "collector" value...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Naming question... What does this mean?   Naming question... What does this mean? Empty

Back to top Go down

Naming question... What does this mean?
Page 1 of 1