Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID Empty

stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tobydoo

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Looking for any indentification methods for a true stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix or photos of a true SRH.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:22 pm

I had a bit of a search for this cactus & found a few pics.

stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID Stenocereus_hystrix2

stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID S_hystrix_C

stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID S_hystrix_T

Unfortunately can't say much about identification techniques.
Not sure what you mean by 'true' Stenocereus ritterocereus hystrix, as I am not that familiar with the species. You have piqued my interest now though. What is the significance of this cactus?
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
tobydoo

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks trigonus. Looks Like the one I have but to what degree of certainty do you feel this is the real deal? and what do you know about the psychoactive content of this cactus? the info is petty sparse. Question
Back to top Go down
tobydoo

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Supposedly has same mescaline content as peruvianus and panachoi. But grows in tropical regions.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Only going by what I have read. It would seem that these pictures are the 'real deal' Stenocereus hystrix.
Also on the alkaloid content, all I could seem to find supports what you have already said. Mescaline being the main psychoactive constituent, containg something like 0.04% I believe. Similiar to San Pedro. Does not seem like this has been researched to any great extent.

The cultivation sounds more complicated than the Trichocereus spp. though. This could be dependant on climate etc. I am not entirely sure.

I think they are fairly rare here in Australia. I had never heard of the species before you brought it up. It also goes under other synonyms, which I can't remember off the top off my head (Lemaireocereus & Ritterocereus?).

Keep searching, if you find anything of interest, feel free to post here. I will do likewise.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
tobydoo

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 1:51 am

Yeah, info seems very sparse. I got a cutting from wholesale shamanic herbs about a year ago and cultivation wise, it's pretty much the same as P. torch. A little slower. Mine is pretty much identical to the pics you posted, a little fatter though and taking on a nice blue/gray hue to it. Seems to love Super Thrive & Old Age fish & sea kelp mix (as do all my Trics.) Super Thrive is an absolute miracle thing cheers !! Highly recommend it as an admix to any cacti grower. Any grower of anything for that matter!
Back to top Go down
salem13

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 7:00 pm

First up Hi all lol!
I found this on Mycology forum hope it helps

"This is a truly unique cactus as it is the only species that is known from outside Southern America and Mexico to contain similar alkaloids to Lophophora williamsii and Trichocereus Peruvianus! Actually chemically it is extremely similar to Lophophora williamsii. This species is found in the West Indies and could be used in places where [/color][url=http://forums.mycotopia.net/glossary.php?do=viewglossary&term=15][color=#ffcc00]Peyote [/color][/url][color=#ff0000] ceremonies can be legally conduced if [/color][url=http://forums.mycotopia.net/glossary.php?do=viewglossary&term=15][color=#ffcc00]Peyote [/color][/url][color=#ff0000] was not available or as alternative more economical entheogen. It has indeed been analyzed via HPLC, GC/MS and TLC. All reports are conclusive and active in the desired alkaloids. Truly, a very special cactus." pirat
Back to top Go down
Teonanacatl

Teonanacatl

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:11 pm

Taken from Trouts notes on cactus chemistry by species:

Lemaireocereus hystrix syn Stenocereus hystrix
Unidentified neutral triterpene lactone
Erythrodiol
Oleanolic acid
Longispinogenin
Betulinic acid
No detectable alkaloids
(Djerassi and Lippman 1954)
Back to top Go down
CactiHunter

CactiHunter

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 12:56 am

Well I'm interested. Anyone know where to get one!
Back to top Go down
tobydoo

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 4:30 am

Psychoactiveherbs.com
Back to top Go down
tobydoo

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 4:32 am

Teonanacatl wrote:
Taken from Trouts notes on cactus chemistry by species:

Lemaireocereus hystrix syn Stenocereus hystrix
Unidentified neutral triterpene lactone
Erythrodiol
Oleanolic acid
Longispinogenin
Betulinic acid
No detectable alkaloids
(Djerassi and Lippman 1954)

Well, that kinda sucks! Sad Any more recent info out there that you know of?...M. Smith?
Back to top Go down
Teonanacatl

Teonanacatl

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 12:39 pm

No more recent info using Lemarieocereus, Stenocereus or Ritterocereus hystrix.

If you want the chemistry of any species let me know its easy to look up. If you can set up an ftp then I can provide alot of the original journal articles aswell which tell how they isolated the compounds in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID   stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID Empty

Back to top Go down

stenocereous ritterocereus hystrix/ ID
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: General Cultivation, Identification & Information :: Cactus & Succulent Identification-
Jump to: