Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. Empty

How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.

Go down 
+9
Lachy
trigonus
Gracie
gilligan
calycium
Hellonasty
AmnesiA
MichaelCactus
KanJe
13 posters
AuthorMessage
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 12:56 am

I start this thread as a proposal for anyone to help me with my huge mealy issue.
I know Michaelcactus just posted a thead about this but I want to have all angles and methods covered here.

In my eyes this is pretty bad. I don't have many cacti, in my green house there are maybe 500 - 600 which are made up of my best mate's and my plants.
The issue started with Copiapoas, Turpinicarpus, Mamms and stuff like that. It's at the point now where they have hit what feels like most of the 2 inch and 9 cm pots (which is most of them).
Its so bad that I'm now finding them on the tips of a lot of the Trichos.

When I was at a meeting at the society someone mentioned using a product called Wetasoil with is designed to help soil retain water. In this case it was described as being used to spray directly onto the mealy which is ment to strip away that white coating they have and kill them. This worked for a lot of the non-severe cases. I also thought it might be good as a non-systemic solution as once they're in the roots, they plants can't consume anything for the chemical to work. Obviously there is the risk of using a chemical which helps soil retain water with some mexiacan cacti, go figure. Neutral

Someone also suggested the idea of using rogor but in a different way. Soak the pot up to the soil level over night. The idea is that the mealy have no choice but for them to take in the chemical there for killing them directly. The idea is that this would work for a plant with a infestation even if the root system isn't active.\

I finshed doing the last option today. I hope it makes a difference.
Please, does anyone have any other ideas because if this doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll do.

Just throw them all away maybe, who knows. lol. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 1:05 am

Well MEALYS SUCK.
I havent got rid of myne, nor have i tryed as ive been in Melb. I came home and noticed alot of them are feeling it. I dont remember reading that Rogor method, i might have to try it.
Do i have to dilute it Kanje?
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 1:11 am

Try 15ml per 5ltr.
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 7:58 pm

I only know one sure fire way to kill mealy bugs...... its goes a little like this. *poke* *squish* *poke* *poke* *die* *squash* *poke* *kill kill kill* *poke* *poke* *squish* *poke* *poke* *die* *squash* *poke* *kill kill kill* *poke* *poke* *squish* *poke* *poke* *die* *squash* *poke* *kill kill kill* *poke* *poke* *squish* *poke* *poke* *die*

I do this EVERY day....I look in every tiny crack and crevice. I also do the same with snails, im proud to say the size of a local snail in my yard is no bigger than one centimeter... I will destroy them all.... *Mwuahaaaawoooohahaha* Twisted Evil

Though your solutions sound alot more effective than mine. They are so hard to get rid of. I think you really need to do a cerimonial cleanse every 2-3 years while re potting destroy ALL signs then a while after follow through with a good blast of some harsh chem such as rogor. then follow the old destroy on sight with any that arrise again....
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 8:00 pm

You can definetly get rid of them...but it can be a bit tricky.

Imidacloprid (active in confidor) is a very good systemic for all Mealy bugs. Buy the concentrate and mix it up a little stronger than recommended. Cacti, from my exprience handle the extra strength easy.

Also sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth (DE) over the plant and soil surface, it will greatly/completely reduce the numbers above ground...they hate the stuff.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 10:37 pm

AmnesiA wrote:
I only know one sure fire way to kill mealy bugs...... its goes a little like this. *poke* *squish* *poke* *poke* *die* *squash* *poke* *kill kill kill* *poke* *poke* *squish* *poke* *poke* *die* *squash* *poke* *kill kill kill* *poke* *poke* *squish* *poke* *poke* *die* *squash* *poke* *kill kill kill* *poke* *poke* *squish* *poke* *poke* *die*

As good as it feels to squish mealy with the different colours coming out to the last one you killed, it just doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Hellonasty wrote:
You can definetly get rid of them...but it can be a bit tricky.

Imidacloprid
(active in confidor) is a very good systemic for all Mealy bugs. Buy
the concentrate and mix it up a little stronger than recommended.
Cacti, from my exprience handle the extra strength easy.

Also
sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth (DE) over the plant and soil surface, it
will greatly/completely reduce the numbers above ground...they hate the
stuff.

Good luck.

What would you recomend for a plant where the root system is no longer active from the mealy?
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Mealy bugs - old way is to use some light garlic spray - even with some black ground pepper.
Back to top Go down
gilligan

gilligan

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 9:51 pm

nyum, nyum, nyum... Sounds like a mini soup stock...
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 12:26 am

calycium wrote:
Mealy bugs - old way is to use some light garlic spray - even with some black ground pepper.

Thats interesting, how would think it works?

I might just give it a go. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Gracie
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 12:03 am

I've been trialling used coffee grounds and have sprinkled it onto the soil on the worst affected plants. I rigourously follow the search and destroy method with small paintbrush dipped in metho and water. works well. I used Confidor every couple of months and especially if Im going away for more than a week. once a year now I do a full immersion routine with the confidor that comes in the tube. a stronger version of the spray on Confidor. Neem Oil was mentioned in a post earlier this year and Ive tried that recently. is a safer option and the mealies think they are full and so die of starvation. need to be aware of the forcast temperature for the day or the plants can get sunburnt after using the neem oil. presently I'm increasing the air circulation through out the poly house as the stillnness seems to promote their numbers. just need to be watchful for the devils and get them early. also check under the pots that have any sort of rim, even the smallest rim will harbour them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kilomuncher.com
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 9:04 am

Thats awesome Gracie. There are some really helpful new hints there that I might try out.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 10:30 pm

I don't think garlic spray would work too well for root mealies.

Root mealies are a very serious problem and can be extremely difficult to remove from collections. They really seem to cause alot of damage and the damage can be done before it's even noticed that there is an infestation.

I would opt for a more harsh chemical solution as mentioned earlier in the thread for root mealy bugs. Visible ones on the above ground/soil parts are alot easier to deal with because they can be seen and dealt with promptly.

Damn root mealies did some damage to a couple of my larger Arios, they seem to like to attack Arios because they are so slow growing and are an easy target.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 3:57 pm

Well i went to bunnings and bought some Rogor insecticide which comes in a can, so im going to dilute it in water and sit the pots in a tray filled with the solution till theyre soaked right through.
I have a feeling 15ml per 5 litres wont be enough, so i might try a bit more, maybe 25? But what its too much?
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 8:01 pm

So anyway, i grabbed some Rogor and most my cacti are sitting in a tray soaking up the mixture. I put 20ml to every 5 litres. But now im not sure because, does it matter if my plants are takeing up water, it wont poison them will it?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 11:48 am

Michael,

All of the cacti I have used rogor on in the past have been fine. Now is the best time due to the plants being in active growth. Yes the plant will absorb the chem along with the water it is suspended in. Just so long as you don't mix it up too strong it should be ok.

Also, I totally agree with trig on the garlic, pepper, chili etc sprays. They will NOT have any effect at all on root mealy and I doubt common mealy bugs will mind all that much. I would think the said sprays would be a deterant rather than a cure.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 1:07 pm

Well, I've now found mealies on some of my plants... annoyingly, I've even found some evidence of mealy infestation on some plants that I bought yesterday from a certain well-known specialty nursery out Keysborough way.

Oh well, out comes the Rogor I guess.
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 8:49 pm

Try to alternate between the systemic chemicals (eg. Confidor and Rogor) to avoid resistance build-up to one or the other in the mealies.

Wettasoil is great stuff. I used it with excellent results for root mealy recently. two advantages are; it is non-toxic and it kills on contact (or rather destroys the mealies white waxy coating) so they cannot gain resistance to it like an insecticide.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 10:57 pm

lewis wrote:
Try to alternate between the systemic chemicals (eg. Confidor and Rogor) to avoid resistance build-up to one or the other in the mealies.

That's the plan; I figure if I do two doses of Rogor two weeks apart, then wait another two weeks and do the same with Confidor. I hate using chemicals (I don't even like using snail bait), but if the alternative is to lose plants then I'll take the chemicals.

lewis wrote:
Wettasoil is great stuff. I used it with excellent results for root mealy recently. two advantages are; it is non-toxic and it kills on contact (or rather destroys the mealies white waxy coating) so they cannot gain resistance to it like an insecticide.

I thought about using something similar; however I have concerns that it might damage the waxy coating on some of my plants. Have you noticed any damage occuring this way?
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 5:31 pm

an easy non toxic weapon a is spirit-soap solutiond it works pretty well I have used it for root mealy too, not sure if it's very good for root infestations. Spirit destroys the coating you mention as well. Which is great, because you can to do it at any time, easier, no washing hands and toxicity worries no need to do it manually [except from big infestation in a small spot, then you remove with the hand of course] killing one by one, as we all do from time to time

IME, spraying chemicals for mites [we had a bad year] might be very the only way to go, but not so with mealies, but I am only 2,5 years in cacti, so what do I know? Smile

I actually have found mealy it's pup-inducing qualities very interesting especially, say, for my penis plant. I actually left in on for a while, while the penis plant pupped irregularly...
Back to top Go down
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 8:09 pm

I have been trialing dipping pots infected with root mealy's into tobacco tea with a little wetting agent for good measure. 100 g to 5L with a capfull of wetting agent. so far its working really well, the big test will be my 250L tubs with my columnar's, i can feel my back aching at the thought of it.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 8:15 pm

shortly wrote:
I have been trialing dipping pots infected with root mealy's into tobacco tea with a little wetting agent for good measure. 100 g to 5L with a capfull of wetting agent. so far its working really well, the big test will be my 250L tubs with my columnar's, i can feel my back aching at the thought of it.
Hey Shortly do you have a recipe or link to making this tea? What sort of tobbacco, white ox? Damn mealies must be the worst of the bunch...
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Nicotiana rustica is the ultimate tobacco to use for pest control. Very potent in nicotine.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Quote :
Very potent in nicotine.

I was just reading about this on wikipedia... supposedly N. rustica goes up to 9% nicotine, compared to 1-3% for "normal" tobacco.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 8:13 pm

my experience has been with this plant, and it even works for mites IME
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.   How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface. Empty

Back to top Go down

How to control Mealy Bug on roots and surface.
Page 1 of 1