Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea Empty

Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea

Go down 
+4
parrotsheaven
PD
KanJe
trigonus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 9:21 pm

I have been after a Copiapoa hypogaea for a while now and was lucky enough to get one through our trade thread

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/trade-and-sell-f5/free-thread-a-continual-trading-thread-t4.htm

Was wondering what requirements this cactus has as I have never grown any from this genus prior to this.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 10:18 pm

Are you growing subsp. barquitensis or just hypogaea?

It shouldnt really matter but I found that mine have been prone to root mealy which might be something to watch out for.
Partial sun, not too much food as they are slow growers if you havent worked that out already. Be careful not to over water. I'm still learning with this genus as I go...

I'm sure I have just stated the obvious here but I hope this help Trig.
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 10:47 am

Quote :
Are you growing subsp. barquitensis or just hypogaea?

The one I got via trade i'm not sure, but I have scored a much larger one since then which is subsp. barquitensis. Is there much difference between the type and subspecies? Cultivation wise or otherwise? Have been getting into collecting them. Am after a C. cinerea (or haseltonia etc.), there have been some nice ones on ebay lately but are too expensive for me at the moment. An interesting genus. I plan to grow various forms of them from seed over the next few years.
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 7:07 pm

Id treat them the same you would any astro Trig. I dont really give mine any special care and they thrive.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 7:34 pm

I don't think the copiapoas need special care, believe me for mine to survive you don't need to Rolling Eyes

Hey Trig I could cut a pup off of my haseltonia if you want, I had a picture of it in another thread.

PM if you do
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 9:41 pm

Cheers people, didn't think they would be too difficult.

I don't know Betty, you often say things like that but your collection is large, healthy and well...eviable in many ways. I think you are a far better grower than you let on.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Trig if you could see the ones I don't post pics of. Scale grrrrrrrrr makes them look so ugly and horrible. Its really hard to get rid of, I am forever treating for it Mad
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 9:52 pm

I'm sure we all have a few cacti that we would rather others not too see lol Wink

Can't you hammer them with something nasty like Malathon? That should give those scale something to think about. I get them occasionally, never had them too badly, got a few mealies I am keeping my eye on though.

Anyone grow C. lauii? Definitely one on my 'must have' list.
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Trig i don't have many Copiapoas but my cinerea and humilis have survived temps below 2C with no ill effects, and could probably go lower. as long as they are dry they are fine. in summer they (particularly cinerea) can burn extremely easily in the sun and it is best to place them in at least semi shade. even though in the wild they are exposed to some of the highest intensity light of any cacti in habitat, they are shielded by a waxy coating over the skin which is often an attractive colour (eg. cinerea is white), conveniently, in cultivation this is washed off by overhead watering, leaving the plants naked and more susceptible to burn.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 10:01 pm

Yeah I was reading about the waxy coating on the epidermis, apparently it has something to do with the mist in the area, this mist, or so I understand, is an important source of moisture/water for the plants. Very interesting genus IMO. I wonder if by misting them and giving occasional capillary watering, makes me wonder if you could maintain the waxy coating if special attention was paid to cultivation, especially if grown in a greenhouse. I'm sure people have tried that, but it's a bit of food for thought anywyay. I have some C. humilis seeds, am looking foward to germinating them in spring.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 10:07 pm

Yes, mist spraying is supposed to be beneficial becuase it mimicks the Atacaman mists. In fact copapoas rarely receive any rain at all in their habitat, this desert being one of the driest places on earth, in which there are areas where it has not rained for 400 years.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 10:18 pm

heres a good site:
http://www.copiapoa.info/

i believe it is possible to keep the attractive waxy coating on the plants by never using overhead watering and practising only deep bottom watering, mist spraying and growing the plants under cover for their entire lives.

my research of the Atacma tells me that it is actually the driest place on earth:

''The average rainfall in the Chilean region of Antofagasta is just 1 mm per year, and at one time no rain fell in the entire desert for 400 years. Some weather stations in the Atacama have never received rain. Evidence suggests that the Atacama may not have had any significant rainfall from 1570 to 1971.''

and in some places there is no life in any form whatsoever, like the surface of Mars:

''a team of researchers published a report in Science magazine titled “Mars-like Soils in the Atacama Desert, Chile, and the Dry Limit of Microbial Life” in which they duplicated the tests used by the Viking 1 and Viking 2 Mars landers to detect life, and were unable to detect any signs in Atacama Desert soil.''

the only reason copiapoas survive at all is the coastal mists, and they only grow along the coast. considering that they are adpated to this hyper-arid environment, it is surprising that they actually take well to cultivation at all.
Back to top Go down
Spiniflores

Spiniflores

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 3:24 am

Hello, there isn't a valid "ssp. barquitensis" published and actually the New Cactus Lexicon only accept:

- C. hypogaea ssp. hypogaea
- C. hypogaea ssp. laui

---------------------
Copiapoa hypogaea
from "Pan de Azucar"

Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea 2578115029_88c2b42abe

C. hypogaea var. barquitensis Ritter
photo 1
Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea 2577471285_efa4dceef4

photo 2, with the root exposed (notice an older "head" covered by the ground)
Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea 2577471625_1eb3970086

They live in front of the Ocean and that mean a lot of wind (from the sea to the continent).
Days are very warm, but normally with clounds in the sky. And aprox. from the 18:00 to the next morning, the clounds are more intense and some drops condense in the ground and in the spines of the plant.

Normally this specie grows absolutely covered by sand so it is not necesary to put them exposed to direct sunlight.

During winter, temperatures never "down" more than 5º C. ¡NEVER under zero!

Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea 2664553031_46cfe64266
Here in Big size

good luck!

Juan

Last edited by Spiniflores on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.eriosyce.info
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 1:26 pm

Some great info there.

Would you say the cultivation (and habitat etc;) of other Copiapoa spp., like Copiapoa cinerea for example is similiar, or the same as for Copiapoa hypogaea? Or is it completely different?

Thanks!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
cortona

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 8:37 am

wel, it change a little but not so different abitat, a thing i have learned some time ago, the copiapoas resist relativeli to sun but not so god to heat, so if you want to place it in ful sun rimember that a little wind is necessary, if the copip are inide a closed gh sunburn are assured !
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 12:24 pm

I had some Copiapoa cinerea burn outdoors Crying or Very sad the UV was severe that week. They are OK though. I am giving my C. hypogea part shade now and they seem to like it.
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 1:25 am

i grow them the same as lophophora. i find in humid areas they are prone to rot if not sheltered. otherwise hardy Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea   Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips for cultivating Copiapoa hypogaea
Page 1 of 1