Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
mealie bug or some thing Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
mealie bug or some thing Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
mealie bug or some thing Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
mealie bug or some thing Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
mealie bug or some thing Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
mealie bug or some thing Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
mealie bug or some thing Empty

mealie bug or some thing

Go down 
+2
MichaelCactus
San Rainbow
6 posters
AuthorMessage
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 7:33 pm

noticed these tiny little critters around the bass of some of my pots, the light isn't the best to really see what colour they are but they are real small, tiny, any idea what they could be & how I might get rid of them?

sorry for lame description, but I noticed them after I watered a couple of plants an they seem to have washed out of the pot...

cheers
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 8:28 pm

Mealys! ARRRGH I still havent got rid of myne Sad
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 9:24 pm

San what colour are they?
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 10:07 pm

Not sure if it's mealies. Pics would help. Mealies kinda sorta look a bit like a white, felty and much smaller slater type critter. They are, I guess 'ribbed' horizontally. Little bastards!!!

Last edited by trigonus on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 10:10 pm

Standard Mealy Bug

mealie bug or some thing Mealy02
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 8:06 am

On a black surface they appear to be whitish, are the younger one's white?

is the only answer chemicals? hope not Crying or Very sad

fungus gnats now these Neutral Crying or Very sad pale Sad
Back to top Go down
Lanna

Lanna

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-23

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 11:01 am

Mealy bugs are hard to get rid of.

If you decide to use a chemical treatment, Confidor works well and doesn't hurt cacti.

You will need to repeat treatments every 2-3 weeks, and after a few treatments you might get the upper hand in killing those little buggers.

I can't seem to get rid of them completely from my glasshouses, just when you think you have killed them all, they reappear somewhere else.

As for fungus knats, top dressing your pots with a non-organic layer and letting the soil completely dry out for at least a few days between waterings should keep them in check. Yellow sticky fly traps positioned down low also work.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:23 pm

San Rainbow the young ones are white as well.

Rogor or Confidor work well and especially if you water the plants with it or anything with Imidacloprid in it. It can protect for months depending on how much watering is happening. It is best when plants are growing though. Find this way of the best ways for severe infestation. But you must treat every plant in your collection for it to be a long lasting treatment.

I know of a guy in England who does not have a mealy/pest (well he says) in his hot house as he treats all his plants with either of the two. He keeps all new plants separate until he is sure they are pest free.

You can try a non chemical way of treating mealy bug and that is to - quote from another forum "I have always had good success with a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water sprayed directly on the affected areas. Even heavy infestations have been eradicated."

The trouble with mealies is that unless you look at the roots you don't know is you have root mealies as well, so a drink with a systemic insecticide with Imidacloprid is for me the only way to treat them.

The fly traps are good for catching scarid fly or fungas gnats which ever they may be as I recently had an infestation in my seedling pots on the heat mat. I had to treat every pot with a Rogor drink and have also started using a Rogor Garden spray with Imidacloprid in it when ever I see one. On watering today I ony noticed one fly which is good Smile
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 6:54 pm

cheers guys, will look into this...
one question though is the chemical absorbed by the plant, thus transferring to any thing that eats it ,ie dragon fruit or my herbs?

so if i wait till spring soak each plant (in pot) in a tub for 20 min will this do the trick?

cheers
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 7:06 pm

It is absorbed by the plants and that is what makes it so effective and a longer term treatment.

When mealy bugs are hit by Imidacloprid they virtually shrivell straight away. I would water from top to get those in the body and a good soak from the bottom would do the trick well.
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 7:10 pm

well even though confidor has low human toxicity i would not recommend spraying your bearing dragon fruit.
Back to top Go down
Lanna

Lanna

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-23

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 11:50 am

Mealies can develop resistance to chemicals over time, to the point that using the same type of treatment over and over might not be affective in completely killing them.

If you have persistant infestations, it might be worth alternating your types of treatments.

As for your dragon fruit, its hard to say. The longest hold off period listed on confidor is 21 days which is for stone fruit.
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 1:40 pm

sweet! thanks all, now I hope my plants can hold off till spring Question
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 5:07 pm

can mealies actually become immune to imidacloprid? i have heard mixed reports of this. It is the only systemic i ever use and i have not seen mealies in over a year in my collection due to my overly-rigorous spraying regime.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Lewis I have heard its possible, but mine keep coming back............. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mealie bug or some thing   mealie bug or some thing Empty

Back to top Go down

mealie bug or some thing
Page 1 of 1