Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Empty

Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)

Go down 
+3
slim6y
trigonus
parrotsheaven
7 posters
AuthorMessage
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 4:16 pm

Decided to put them in this section rather than have to put them in different areas.

Day off work due to machinery breakage so got the camera out after I took a couple of pics for the competition and well I couldn't stop Laughing

Mammillaria sp 23cm sqaure pot ..................................................................Denmoza rhococantha
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Mammil11 Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Denmoz10

Ferocactus pilosis.............................................................................................sulco mariana ??
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Feroca10 Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Sulco_10

Echinocactus grusonii................................................................................L. williamsii
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Echino13 Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) L_will10

Gymnocalycium horstii........sorry PD .......................................................................copiapoa dealbata
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Gymno_11 Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Copiap10

Copiapoa cinerea.........................................................................................echinocactus ingens
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Copiap11 Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Echino14

Copiapoa haseltonnia clump....................................................................astrophytum ornatum v. virens
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Copiap12 Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) A_orna10

Haageacereus versicolor...............................................................Pachycereus pringleii
Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Haagea10 Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Pachyc10

Hope you like them Very Happy

Last edited by parrotsheaven on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Very nice and diverse selection of plants there Betty. I always enjoy seeing other peoples plants. Those Copiapoa spp. are great, nice size too, have been getting interested in this genus lately.

Thanks for sharing. Always keen to see some more.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 5:32 pm

Trig the Copiapoas are one of my favourite cacti, there is something about them as they age. They tend to look a little haggard but with great character. The c.dealbata just keeps looking better each year Wink I have a few more but they have had stop start growth and look bloody horrible LOL
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Have you considered grafting the ones that look 'bloody horrible', it is my understanding that they grow quite slowly.

Yeah they do look a bit haggard lol in a noble kind of way, I like them. Planning on growing some from seed next season.

I really like all the cacti in the pics, a few there I have always wanted to grow, one day I will.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 5:46 pm

Some slower than others Trig, the c. cinerea has been the fastest growing so far.

I will let them grow as they are and hope they push out the dents next spring. One was a pup (from a plant a friend rescued, the plant grew under a dark bench) and its elongated and has a couple of growing points (like its had a marking bands around it) and I hoping with better care that it may plump out these bits. If not they will stay ugly Rolling Eyes I like ugly anyway LOL
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 9:56 pm

What are the white fluffy bits at the top of the copiapoa?

Sorry for the noob question - but I have one too - and I thought it was rot so I have started a special treatment haha.... (dry and warm).

I love the photos, you have a nice collection.
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 10:41 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmm, ya had to do it didnt ya Betty. haha.
Very nice shots Very Happy Im liking that C. dealbata!
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 7:05 am

slim6y wrote:
What are the white fluffy bits at the top of the copiapoa?

Sorry for the noob question - but I have one too - and I thought it was rot so I have started a special treatment haha.... (dry and warm).

I love the photos, you have a nice collection.

Thanks and Slim6y that is wool and that is one thing that is great about them. As the age they get more and can change to off white/yellowish in some species. Its a way of protecting themselves again the harsh sun in habitat.

The more the better I reckon Wink
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 7:08 am

PD wrote:
mmmmmmmmmmmm, ya had to do it didnt ya Betty. haha.
Very nice shots Very Happy Im liking that C. dealbata!

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrry PD I had to Twisted Evil its not at its best at the moment Smile Dealbata is a ripper isn't it. So ugly and scarred but beautiful.
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi Betty Smile Haha stalking you Razz

I love your plants Betty theyre all amazeing, but that Mamm is just too cool, cant believe i said that when theres Astro,Fero and Copiapoas:o
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 5:25 pm

Geez I had better watch out then Michael ............ stalkers are strange aren't they? Laughing

I can't believe you said that about a Mamm either...............not going soft are you Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 6:45 pm

funny that I thought the same thing about the Mammillaria Laughing , what kind is it?
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 7:00 pm

No idea it has little purple flowers had a rough ID once but can't remember what now Laughing

Will have to wait till it flowers again Rolling Eyes

San Rainbow like your new avatar

Last edited by parrotsheaven on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 7:01 pm

Nah im not goin soft, well maybe i am, but thats bout the only mamm i really like Razz
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 7:17 pm

parrotsheaven wrote:
No idea it has little purple flowers had a rough ID once but can't remember what now Laughing

Will have to wait till it flowers again Rolling Eyes

San Rainbow like your new avatar

cheers betty, shucks
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 8:44 pm

That Mammillaria is absolutely incredible! Very Happy
congrats Betty.
i'm not soft either, i always liked Mammillarias.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 8:53 pm

That was hard work phew!!!! but I found the possible ID Rolling Eyes

Mammillaria supertexta

Description of M. supertexta from Edward F. Anderson “The Cactus Family”.

Mammillaria supertexta Martius ex Pfeiffer 1837

Neomammillaria lanata Britton and Rose 1923

Mammillaria lanata (Britton and Rose) Orcutt 1926

Mammillaria martinezii Backeberg 1952

Plants solitary at first, later branching basally and from the sides to form clumps. Stems sublgobose to oblong, green, 10-13 cm high, 8-10cm in diameter. Tubercles small, crowded, conical, without latex, axils very woolly, nearly covering the tubercles. Central spines 2, white with brown tips, to 3mm long. Radial spines 16-18, slender, chalky white, lower ones longest, to 5mm. Flowers small, purplish red. Fruits not known. Distribution Oaxaca, Mexico
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)   Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy) Empty

Back to top Go down

Took a few photos today (Picture Heavy)
Page 1 of 1