Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? Empty

My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
stephanieb

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-02-22

PostSubject: My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)?   My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? EmptyThu May 08, 2014 9:21 am

I bought this beast online last week, seed grown, 20 years old. All I know is that they were mixed seeds, and they have never flowered. On facebook someone has said the big one is probably pachycereus pringlei. Would anyone have any idea about any of them? I don't even know where to start, all I know is i'll have to repot it all sometime which scares me.

Thanks!

My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? 10264611

My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? 12388110

My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? 14615110

My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? 10268610
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)?   My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? EmptyThu May 08, 2014 6:19 pm

Ooooh very interesting..... I wouldn't even know where to begin with these ones. Can't wait to see what the other members have to say.
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)?   My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? EmptyThu May 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Going on the first pic I reckon the big one at 12oclock is Pachycereus pringlei, same pic at 7oclock looks to be a Carnegia gigantea and the one at 2oclock maybe same. Not sure about the others.
Back to top Go down
stephanieb

PostSubject: Re: My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)?   My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? EmptyFri May 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Ooh thats exciting! I'm hopeless with big cacti IDs but I did wonder if I had a gigantea in there. Thanks! I may be learning! I believe they were grown from a packet of Yates seeds in the early 90s, but we don't have any big brand cacti seed suppliers anymore, and these are only a couple of years younger than me so no chance of remembering what they did sell! Can't find any info online either. Still probably my best online purchase though!
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)?   My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? EmptyFri May 09, 2014 9:16 pm

What a fantastic buy ! Some very interesting columnnars in there. I would separate them and grow them out separately, they all have large genetics and will grow to an amazing size if given enough root space.

HN
Back to top Go down
stephanieb

PostSubject: Re: My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)?   My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? EmptyThu May 15, 2014 6:03 am

I was planning to invest in some good leather gloves and repot them in a few months. I got stabbed by the big one and it hurt for ages haha. Not bad for $12.50, the only thing I don't like is that I probably won't live to see them all flower! It's amazing to me that after 20 years they're still only babies!
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)?   My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? EmptyThu May 15, 2014 7:38 pm

They are small because they are in a small pot, much the same as 'bonsi' trees, the smaller the pot the smaller the plant. Most columnar cacti will flower in 3-4 years when grown in the correct environment. Plant them in the ground and watch them grow.
Back to top Go down
stephanieb

PostSubject: Re: My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)?   My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? EmptyFri May 16, 2014 1:50 pm

I figured it may have stunted them quite a bit but I have also been told that the pringlei is about right? Might have to get some big pots and divide them. There's a couple of small ones that I'm scared I might lose, they're kinda squished against the sides of the pot. We've had a decent frost every morning this week so unfortunately I can't put them in the ground outside. I've put buy a bigger house with room for a big greenhouse on my life wishlist. I'm excited that I may get to see them flower with some TLC though! Thanks for making me feel better about my purchase!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)?   My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)? Empty

Back to top Go down

My latest exciting purchase. ID(s)?
Page 1 of 1