Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Brigdesii infected? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Brigdesii infected? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Brigdesii infected? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Brigdesii infected? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Brigdesii infected? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Brigdesii infected? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Brigdesii infected? Empty

Brigdesii infected?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wert

wert

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Brigdesii infected?   Brigdesii infected? EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 9:49 pm

hey guy and gals.

i have say 10 different trichocereus varietys. i have never had any problems with this species... they seem to laugh in the face of death.
anyway of all the plants i have the bridgesii (i have multiple bridgesii) are all covered in a brown scar tissue. it looks like servere sunburn or aged tissue similar to the old myrtilocactus skin found near the base (of myrtillos).
i've dealt with scale before(black) and have erradicated this. the scaring looks to me like possible damage caused by scale... the tips of the plants are healthy and as time goes by the scaring eventually affects it.
i have two seperate bridgesii from two separate donor plants not from the same location and neither of the parent plants exhibited this... none of my other plants are affected and worth a mention is on one of the bridgesii's i have grafted a bridgesii monsrose witch to my suprize has not shown any signs of the brown scaring effect? the bridgesii stock however is completly browned over?

any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Brigdesii infected?   Brigdesii infected? EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 9:46 am

We will need a photo for a proper diagnosis , please post one.

HN
Back to top Go down
wert

wert

PostSubject: Re: Brigdesii infected?   Brigdesii infected? EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 4:11 pm

Brigdesii infected? Image_zps913532b3

There's the damage
Black spot inc
Back to top Go down
wert

wert

PostSubject: Re: Brigdesii infected?   Brigdesii infected? EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Brigdesii infected? Image_zps4f4fd05c

There's a few different cuttings showing off there not so atractive bs
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Brigdesii infected?   Brigdesii infected? EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 10:50 pm

Ah yes, the dreaded black ooze. I can show you endless photos of this disease attacking my TBM's. In my experience it is curable once the 'ulcer' has burst and you can apply copper directly to the infect flesh. Leaves a big scar though. No idea what it is and I still haven't completely gotten rid of it from my trich collection. I have always believed a systemic fungicide would do the trick but I have not looked for one yet. Bit slack as it is normally only my TBM's that get it and well, they are always scared and ugly so no harm in not doing anything for a while longer.
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Brigdesii infected?   Brigdesii infected? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 pm

That's some infected cuttings wert.

In the years collecting i have learnt to deal with getting rid of some plants that are affected by some sort of infection and half the time i DONT want to get rid of.

The way i see it is as i don't want anything spreading to my other plants or my plants carrying the infection in the future, anything i can repurchase usually goes in the garden bin.

I had a Ferocactus years ago, it was my first, after a while it got mealy bug on it, it must have had it when i got it.
I thought i could save it and all would be well!! but NO!! the mealy started to spread, i had i problem with a few other plants and the Fero was covered, my only thought was to try and save it.
After that i learnt its not worth keeping it if its going to spread.

Some plants these days if i find anything i will put it outside, and the plant seem fine now, i'm just a bit cautious in returning to my greenhouse.

Hope my opinion helps in a way or not
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brigdesii infected?   Brigdesii infected? Empty

Back to top Go down

Brigdesii infected?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Pests & Diseases: ID, Control & Prevention-
Jump to: