Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Resilient seedlings Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Resilient seedlings Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Resilient seedlings Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Resilient seedlings Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Resilient seedlings Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Resilient seedlings Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Resilient seedlings Empty

Resilient seedlings

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mitchell101

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Resilient seedlings   Resilient seedlings EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 11:48 am

I have this large, old Mamm. hahniana which produced 2 seed pods (self-fertile) this season. One seedpod was plump whilst the other didn't really seem to develop. I pulled the plump seedpod off but it seemed to have no fertile seeds in it so that was that. Today, however, I turned the pot that the Mamm was in around to check for the beginnings of any offsets and saw a little green seedling hugging the edge of the pot! Upon further inspection I found another seedling huddled real close to the base of the mother plant. I haven't watered the plant in over month and over the past few weeks we have had some extreme temperatures (still more to come) with very little rain. One seedling was very plump whilst the other was by no means shriveled. It's just amazing that these seedlings which look to be about a month old can withstand such extreme heat and still be alive and healthy. The plant has been in the full blazing sun but what has allowed the seedlings to survive is that they have been protected from direct sunlight by the main plant. It always feels good when the seedlings you are growing come from your own plants (even if you didn't realize they were growing!). Although, looking at it my other seedlings which are growing in baggies at the moment probably had worse conditions as it would have got even hotter in the baggies. Just stoked to have these little seedlings growing!
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Resilient seedlings   Resilient seedlings EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Yeah, I'm seeing lots of young 'uns around the base of some of my plants. Rare ones too, like Mamm pectinifera and albiflora, Epithelantha, Pelecyphora valdeziana to name a few..

Sometimes wonder if we're wasting our time with all this seed raising trouble !  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Resilient seedlings   Resilient seedlings EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 8:51 pm

I too have noticed a significant number of seedlings popping up. Some of my loph's have obviously shed a lot of seeds that I have missed. Either that or the ants have aided in spreading the seeds far and wide.

I'm particularly stoked about a single seedling from an old caespitosa, growing in the pot directly under the most mature head. I have only ever gotten 4 or 5 fruits from it and all attempts to germinate seeds have failed. Nature, it seems, always manages to find a solution.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resilient seedlings   Resilient seedlings Empty

Back to top Go down

Resilient seedlings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: General Cultivation, Identification & Information-
Jump to: