Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Prickly pear cactus wanted Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Prickly pear cactus wanted Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Prickly pear cactus wanted Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Prickly pear cactus wanted Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Prickly pear cactus wanted Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Prickly pear cactus wanted Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Prickly pear cactus wanted Empty

Prickly pear cactus wanted

Go down 
+3
supergirl
SneakyCuttlefish
Spotcold2
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Spotcold2

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Prickly pear cactus wanted   Prickly pear cactus wanted EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 6:33 am

I really want a prickly pear cactus clipping! If u have one u could give to me, that would be great! I have pincushion seeds I can trade and I have amaryllis seeds to trade
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Prickly pear cactus wanted   Prickly pear cactus wanted EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 9:01 pm

would love to help but I'm not sure how you'd go getting it through customs from aus to usa.
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Prickly pear cactus wanted   Prickly pear cactus wanted EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 9:50 pm

If you're on Facebook the 'Planet Cactus' group would probably be a good way to track one down.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Prickly pear cactus wanted   Prickly pear cactus wanted EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 10:27 pm

What species are you after? If it's O. ficus-indica then you could try raising some from seed from a store-bought fruit. Or you could ask around on some other forums.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Back to top Go down
Eck

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Prickly pear cactus wanted   Prickly pear cactus wanted EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 pm

Cereoid wrote:
What species are you after? If it's O. ficus-indica then you could try raising some from seed from a store-bought fruit. Or you could ask around on some other forums.

In Aus I've only noticed dragonfruit (hylocereus sp.) in the supermarkets and
then rarely.  (And yes, I germinated some seeds from them.  Slow growing from seed...)

Speaking of O. ficus-indica, can anyone tell me at what size they flower and whether self-fertile?  Have one in the ground and it's almost fence height.  No sign of flowers as yet Sad
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Prickly pear cactus wanted   Prickly pear cactus wanted EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 6:46 pm

I've come across one local fruit&veg store that occationally have Opuntia fruits, no idea what species they are though. Bought one pack just to test out how they tasted, just to spend an afternoon cursing those blasted glochnids!
Bit of a suprise to be honest as I thought just about all of them were classed as noxious weeds down here.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Prickly pear cactus wanted   Prickly pear cactus wanted EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 8:53 pm

I haven't seen any prickly pear fruit for sale in some time, and when I mentioned them I was talking about in the USA where they would likely be more commonly available. In NSW the only species that is not a registered noxious weed is O. ficus-indica so I assume it would be the one that is grown here for fruit. The other species were mostly used either for cochineal or as ornamentals before being declared noxious weeds and don't make as good a fruit crop as O. ficus-indica as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
Eck

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Prickly pear cactus wanted   Prickly pear cactus wanted EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 pm

Cereoid wrote:
In NSW the only species that is not a registered noxious weed is O. ficus-indica so I assume it would be the one that is grown here for fruit. The other species were mostly used either for cochineal or as ornamentals before being declared noxious weeds and don't make as good a fruit crop as O. ficus-indica as far as I know.

When a tradesman saw my plant he remarked that prickly pears used to be common in the area and farms grew them for "prickly pear wine" production!

Is there anything prickly pears can't do Smile
Back to top Go down
diddi

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Prickly pear cactus wanted   Prickly pear cactus wanted EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 11:46 pm

opuntia rufida is American and an absolute beauty for visual impact. don't know about the fruits being edible. I would expect mesagarden to have seeds and you wont have to worry about customs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prickly pear cactus wanted   Prickly pear cactus wanted Empty

Back to top Go down

Prickly pear cactus wanted
Page 1 of 1