Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Caught out Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Caught out Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Caught out Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Caught out Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Caught out Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Caught out Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Caught out Empty

Caught out

Go down 
+3
Cereoid
mitchell101
supergirl
7 posters
AuthorMessage
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

Caught out Empty
PostSubject: Caught out   Caught out EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi all.

Isn't marvellous when you catch yourself having one of those 'where did my brain go?' moments. tongue 

This arvo I was transferring some plants from a planter box where they just weren't thriving, I was onto the second plant when I look to see my two year old had started on the next one. Great! she was proudly holding out the Haworthia which she'd just uprooted for me. Okay I put that down and find her some worms to keep her busy, then realise that the plant I was holding was my faithful old Mamm. Bocasana which I've had forever. But wait on! I've got a handful of Bocasana in my bare hand. Duh! I forgot that I was potting cactus, let alone one with hooked spines and how was I planning on getting the thing into the pot without a handful of prickles. Nice one stupid person. I did manage to carefully complete the procedure without too much damage to either myself or my beloved plant but it gave me a laugh at my brainless moment.
Just wondering what stupid things everyone else gets up to in their gardens or surrounds.

'Fess up people I know I'm not the only one.
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Caught out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caught out   Caught out EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 12:28 pm

The only time I use gloves is for plants with glochids but other than that I just use soft hands and I'm usually fine. Only the once have I really impaled myself with cactus spines. I was putting a large pot which was around 10L into a 20L bucket of water to give it a nice deep watering. I had a piece of wood diagonal in the 20L bucket to stop the pot from becoming fully submerged but as I was releasing the pot the wood flipped up vertically and after a reflex reaction I had a handful of spines which all broke off and got buried under my skin. Amazing I managed to lift the pot out of the bucket with one hand on the pot and the other on the plant  Evil or Very Mad . Took probably a half hour with the needle digging them all out. Luckily the spines weren't too ferocious and the largest spine in my hand would have only been 2-3mm.

Not really a thoughtless moment, just me reacting faster than my brain could tell me, "NO!"  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

Caught out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caught out   Caught out EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Those hooked spines take it to favourable locations in nature and culture!

As for me, I don't know how many times I've walked into my Aloe barberae or backed into my Disocactus flagelliformis. The latter is quite surprising when I get up after weeding directly beneath it.
Back to top Go down
cortona

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Caught out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caught out   Caught out EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 7:47 pm

not cactus related (but i can tell storyes for that too) but ...have you tryed to pick a gosth chily and andling it without glowes? and after that touching your face ? wel, dont do it! if you dant have milk very very near you!
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Caught out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caught out   Caught out EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 8:46 pm

Did a similar thing to Mitchell, I was driving with a large Copiapoa serpentisulcata plant on my passenger seat. Person in front hit the brakes hard and I did likewise. Seeing the plant start to fly towards the dash, my reflex was to catch it with my left hand.
I learned the hard way that this species has very pointy brittle spines, they went in deep and broke off. After a painful one hour drive to my home I sat up late with a pin digging into my flesh till I was deep enough to grip the spines with tweezers and pull them out.
Nowdays the cacti ride in the back!
Even worse....there is an old rule of thumb in horticulture.....test any new spray on a few plants first. I added a surfactant to some Confidor and ignored the rule of thumb. Sprayed my personal collection and burned almost every plant in that greenhouse. Thankfully my Arios and peleycyphora were ok, but astros, turbs ect all went in the compost a month later when I could bear looking at the carnage I had caused. This hurt me more than the Copiapoa did, I wiped out nearly five years of patient cultivation and seed raising in a couple of minutes by breaking a rule not meant to be broken.
Back to top Go down
cortona

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Caught out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caught out   Caught out EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 4:43 am

sad! an entire collection......wath a phyty!
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

Caught out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caught out   Caught out EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 6:22 pm

AHHHHHHH!!! that sucks hard cryptocarpa about your collection.
cryptocarpa wrote:
I was driving with a large Copiapoa serpentisulcata plant on my passenger seat. Person in front hit the brakes hard and I did likewise. Seeing the plant start to fly towards the dash, my reflex was to catch it with my left hand.
I hope your Copiapoa serpentisulcata was wearing a seat belt????? Very Happy 
There are many injury's these days when seat belts are not put on! i hope you buckle up!!!!!! Laughing 

Not sure if any injury's yet compare to Hellonastys finger!!!! hope alls well there Laughing

The only time i've been Caught Out that i can think of is when i was re-potting in the shed, i knew i had a large Agave behind me with long spines. i kept brushing it and getting a sharp jab from it.
But i did not move it, next thing i know i've turned around hard and got a large spine in my forearm!!!! of course right on the vein!! blood started running down my arm as soon as it happened!! i had a lump there for about a week, had a laugh about it and thought that's why people don't drink drive so why re pot under the intoxication!!!Laughing
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

Caught out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caught out   Caught out EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 1:07 pm

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would resurect it as I have a tale I can add and i'm sure others do too.

I was moving my cacti the other day and decided it would be a good idea to lift my mammillaria bombycina by placing my hand over the cacti and holding on to the pot. As you may be aware the spines on these guys are like hooks that face down, so no issues picking it up but putting it back down it came back with a vengenence and I ended up with about 6 hooks grabbing on to me.
It took around 5 minutes to remove them without hurting the plant.
Wasn't painful by any means but rather tedious trying to unhook myself!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Caught out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caught out   Caught out Empty

Back to top Go down

Caught out
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Around The Fire-
Jump to: