Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
The Graftathon. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
The Graftathon. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
The Graftathon. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
The Graftathon. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
The Graftathon. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
The Graftathon. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
The Graftathon. Empty

The Graftathon.

Go down 
+2
rickyscactus
SneakyCuttlefish
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 1:39 pm

I grafted six P. Asellifomis cuttings a month or so back and had 100% success.
The Graftathon. P1020532
The Graftathon. P1020533

so this weekend I plan on grafting many many seedlings and young plants. I have done loads of research and searched the forum but now I am after personal experiences and insights. Some of my vict...err... volunteers are:

Astro's
The Graftathon. P1020529

E. micromeris
The Graftathon. P1020530

T. pseudopectinata
The Graftathon. P1020531

Ariocarpus
The Graftathon. P1020534

P. Strombophilis
The Graftathon. P1020535

As I have very limited numbers of the older plants I would Like to attempt some upside down grafts as well to try and maximize my number of plants. If anyone has some experience performing this kind of graft please feel free to enlighten me on how to do it best as the last one I tried didn't take. I would also greatly appreciate some in-put into how to graft very odd shaped plants such as Turbinicarpus krainzianus.
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Great looking P. Asellifomis!!!
are they grafted on opuntia? very nice work!!
what will you use for the seedlings?
what are you using for the larger? i have used Myrtillocactus, T.Spachianus/ Pachanoi for larger grafts, they work well.
I still have not done a upside down graft yet, will be great to see yours when you do it.
when i do larger grafts i cut the stock at the right height so i can put a rubber band on it, to give it constant pressure for a couple days, mine you i've had a handfull of spines doing this but it works for me.
Hope this helps a bit
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Yeah they are grafted on what i believe to be Opuntia cochenillifera. Excellent stock. Found a huge plant growing wild beside a bridge. The only gripes I have with it is the glochids are horrific and its a prolific segmenting plant so I'm constantly picking off new shoots.

I tackled the seedlings today. As much as I'd like to try a larger graft onto an Opuntia I think I will wait another season to graft the large plants on some young tricho's I have on the boil. I'm just not confident enough yet to cut up a perfectly healthy ariocarpus and risk grafting it to something with a very odd shaped growth ring. At least with tricho's I know I can pencil cut it and have it sit on there nicely.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Cool, really good work sneaky! I have never had any sucess with opuntia as a stock, but I have never use that Ssp.

I really love the patterns on this plant, you should have some amazing plants in a year or so Smile

HN
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 6:33 pm

In regards to the upside down grafting there are no real tricks it is pretty much the same, however you need to leave enough of the bottom section so there is at least one areole for the plant to pup from. Without at least one areole the plant 'usually' won't be able to survive.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks HN. With the upside down grafts is it worth removing the roots from the tubers before grafting?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:05 am

Just trim and clean the roots, no need to spend too worry about it all that much.
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Some Cephalocereus Senilis Crest grafts of mine couple days ago.

The Graftathon. 101_2216
after a haircut!!
The Graftathon. 101_2217
hopefully some new growth soon.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 1:11 pm

very cool. I haven't tried to graft crests yet.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Great grafts Ricky Smile
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 8:25 am

Really nice grafts Rick and I like the alternative use of welding rods too! An interesting and creative solution to the age old cactus grafting problem of attachment.
I also really like the Cephalocereus senilis crest, I have not seen one of those before so I hope you propagate lots and consider selling or trading some. Please put my name down for one if you do!
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 11:05 am

haha true aye. I didn't even see the rods. That's quite a good idea.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 4:20 pm

hellonasty wrote:
"upside down grafting is pretty much the same, however you need to leave enough of the bottom section so there is at least one areole for the plant to pup from. Without at least one areole the plant 'usually' won't be able to survive."
Just wondering, how does this apply to loph's and ario's?
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Upside-down grafting of loph roots got me interested. Could you graft a taproot but keep it in the ground and make it big then graft that root onto a degrafted stem to produce a natural-formed large plant in a small fraction of the time?
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 5:44 pm

I have wondered this also. So basically cut the plant in two. Graft the head to one stock and the root to another stock then when the desired size is reached, de-graft both and recombine.

This would work provided the tuber will be able to throw new roots after recombining. I personally think it wouldn't be able to, especially after a few seasons of exposure to the elements. But would certainly make for an interesting experiment.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 5:58 pm

All right, here's one for you grafting maestros:

Take an own roots plant with a good taproot, and keep that in a pot with a lot of grit. Then take some of the soft roots out of that pot so they are still attached to the plant but dangling out of the pot. Then graft those soft lateral roots onto Pereskiopsis so that they carry the sugars and water from the stock to the "scion". Then it would be grafted AND own-roots at the same time and degrafting will leave no trace!!

Does anyone have any experience with the above scenario or want to try it? It could revolutionise the way "own-roots" plants are grown - if it works.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 11:29 pm

hahaha now your getting technical. This sounds like question for cryptocarpa. Id say if you could find a plant that has a long tap root with feeder roots further up the tuber you could probably clip the very bottom of the tuber off and graft that whilst keeping the higher up feeder roots intact. Though, keeping those higher feeder roots alive would be a challenge.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 pm

No this can't work unfortunately. When you graft the bottom half, the plant simply pups from an aerole, the root ball does not grow at all but rather serves as a host for the pups to grow. I will see if I can find a photo, a picture tells a 1000 words Smile

Last edited by Hellonasty on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Hopefully this works here is a pic of one i did a few years ago
http://forum.auscactiforum.net/t1034p30-grafted-seedlings
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks CC, it works and now I don't have to go searching through my old photos Smile It shows exactly what I was trying to say, the root section pups and grows new plants.

How did you find growth rates between the normal and root grafts ?

HN
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:15 am

Loving that old thread CC, some amazing plants and photos you have in there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Graftathon. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Graftathon.   The Graftathon. Empty

Back to top Go down

The Graftathon.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: General Cultivation, Identification & Information-
Jump to: