Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Big ups to Yates... Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Big ups to Yates... Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Big ups to Yates... Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Big ups to Yates... Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Big ups to Yates... Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Big ups to Yates... Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Big ups to Yates... Empty

Big ups to Yates...

Go down 
+5
Haga
Hellonasty
PD
trigonus
slim6y
9 posters
AuthorMessage
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Well, I gotta say, if a company does something that's remotely good we should make some effort to praise them, because it's so few and far between.

Some of you may remember I was after the Yates Cacti Seed Mix but I was having troubles finding it in the supermarkets, Bunnings or Big W etc. Cairns isn't the world's largest city, but it most certainly is one of the poorest stocked cities!

So I wrote to Yates requesting the location of the seed or could I perhaps purchase it off them direct.

A person replied some 24 hours later and said, sorry, I don't think you can get it in Cairns, you could order it, but in the mean time I have sent you out a complementary bag of seed!

And today - just a few days after sending the email, it arrived.

I have to say, huge ups to one of our larger gardening companies - personally that is really special!

But perhaps a downer for another company named after an indigenous American spiritual leader... In early April I ordered 12 bags of seed of common(ish) cacti... and the package hasn't even been sent - in fact payment was only confirmed last week some four weeks after I paid!

I thinks they've been eating their cacti :p

I have just ordered $40 worth of seed from cactus-seeds.com as well - though that was Thursday last week. I still haven't heard from them yet either. I know the money went through, PayPal said so! I do hope they contact me soon with the promising news that seeds have been sent.

And I do hope that the ones mentioned above get off their pipes and pack my seed to - very very slow!

But, the big companies, who are usually the let down, I didn't even pay for the seed (though I did offer) and they sent it free and very quickly!

ps - I do not work for Yates haha! But I do believe their good deed deserves another Smile

pps - come on other Aussie companies, get ya act together!!!
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:21 pm

Yates gave me a fungus gnat infestion from there crappy "premium" potting mix, bastards! Never again.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:39 pm

Hmmmm.. one up + one down = neutral outcome...

Oh well... :p

I purposefully buy crappy potting mixes...
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:46 pm

Hope they germ for ya slim6y.
i got a packet of seed from a nursery the other week and none at all have germinated. They werent Yates seeds, cant remeber the name now, but they are crap anyways. Dunno why i went out and spent 6 bux on 15 bloody mystery seeds when i have far far too many tricho seeds that need my attention.
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Far too many tricho seeds you say PD? Well *ahem* their valuable attention can be given up here in the warm tropics... It'd be like sending them on vacation. Give you some peace and quiet round the house....

Smile

I have a nearly empty shadehouse just waiting for holiday makers like your trichos Razz

haha...

Well, I am certainly hoping for more than 0% success - even at 3% that's still be a few cacti Smile but hoping for 10% or greater.

It says germination may take up to 12 weeks but in some cases months!

I have my heat cord al ready to go, my empty two footer fish tank and plenty of gnat free soil + home grown river sand (cooked to perfection)!
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:54 pm

I have actually had some decent results from their seed mix, but i like to germinate rare and collectable seed and trichos too.

I just think their potting mix is poxy, I use Debco premium cacti and succulent with my own additives or my own special mix for rarer stuff.

They have some good products don't get me wrong, I just really dislike fungus gnats. Though not sure if they are entirely to blame for this. I think bad storage on the behalf of bunnings and nurseries is a factor in this fungus gnat scourge.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:55 pm

Don't worry slim you are getting some of those seeds in the mail this week mate Wink
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:57 pm

Quote :
I purposefully buy crappy potting mixes...

haha, yeh but some are REAL crappy. big freakin sticks and crap. I expect potting mix, i get pine bark.

Im just a cheap arse, but some of them 2 dollar bags are really good Razz
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyMon May 12, 2008 10:09 pm

Actually I had been fortunate PD - until this weekend.. i got rocks... neigh.. Boulders in my potting mix!!! HAHA! As well as the usual assortment of sticks!

But that adds to the character of a real cheap potting mix... Smile
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyMon May 12, 2008 10:10 pm

trigonus wrote:
Don't worry slim you are getting some of those seeds in the mail this week mate Wink

Very much looking forward to it... Smile
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyTue May 13, 2008 12:56 pm

I also received a nice fungus gnat infestation from bunnings Smile Such a nice mob
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:52 am

Also now big ups for Vlado and his cactus-seeds.com site - awesome package and a great price!

I was planting up some cereus yesterday from him, and I accidentally sneezed Sad I think i recovered most of the scattered seed - but unless they start germinating on the wooden floor I don't think I will find them all (haha).

Still... I am very pleased with the seed. Can't comment on quality yet - but even if I get 20% success (that's my minimum aim) then I will be doing very very well!

Better get in before the temperature and humidity rises too much up here - ahhhh thank you for a tropical winter!
Back to top Go down
Haga

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:40 pm

vlados seed is normally pretty good. fresh and good germ rates.
Back to top Go down
Brettix

Brettix

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:14 pm

Yeah i use Debco cati mix for everything.
It has quartz chips in it and the quartz brings out the colours
in cacti.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:20 pm

Debco is pretty good stuff. I have found recent batches to contain far too much pine chips though. I sieve these out and quite often add a bit of extra course sand. Really depends what I am potting up though. Searles is meant to be good, although I have never seen it in Sydney before.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:28 pm

I use Debco but usually mix it half and half with my mix. Course sand, el cheapo potting mix and coir. I am trying coir out with a lot of my plants now. Especially my fat-plants.

I just wish I could get hold of some small scoria to put in my mix, can only get the bigger stuff here.

I got lithop seeds from Vlado a few years ago and swore I would never go back for any more seeds. So interesting to hear how everyone is going with his seeds now.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyWed May 21, 2008 10:40 pm

Quote :
I just wish I could get hold of some small scoria to put in my mix, can only get the bigger stuff here.

Some decent scoria would be nice. How would the larger stuff go if you pounded it with a hammer? I smash up bricks with a hammer to add to my mix, also I do the same with terracotta and slate, maybe I am just mad, but the results are pretty good lol.

While we are talking about mineral content for potting mixes. Anyone know where to get decent pumice for a resonable price? Preferrably available in Sydney or over the net if the postage isn't too prohibitive?
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyThu May 22, 2008 7:25 am

HAHA - Pumice - Go to Taupo in the North Island of NZ - the Desert Road - not a normal desert - instead of sand it's all pumice and ash - very good for the soil Smile

With scoria - if you have the ability heat it up first (BBQ is a good idea) as it's full of air pockets - let it cool slightly (or throw them in water) and they'll break up into even smaller pieces.

Pumice - I am sure you can get bags of the stuff in Bunnings.

I used scoria (aussie stuff) once in a Hangi I had here - and the whole lot exploded sending shards of hot scoria flying around the house!
Back to top Go down
hornet

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyThu May 22, 2008 8:22 am

i love taupo, we used to go there everytime we went over to nz. Lol at hot scoria flying round your house
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyThu May 22, 2008 8:27 am

Pumice - what's that ????........................ if only Bunnings stocked here in sunny Mildura they never have anything I want, probably think its too far out in the sticks for anyone to want it hehe Laughing
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyThu May 22, 2008 8:44 am

Pumice - It's a very light volcanic rock that actually floats on water!!!

I am positive you can buy pumice at health shops too - you use it to rub off callouses I think (haha).
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyThu May 22, 2008 9:06 am

Yep I have that one good for the heels in summer (lol) but its just impossible to buy the chunky bits for my soil mix where I live Sad
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyThu May 22, 2008 10:23 am

aren't some brands of cat litter just ceramic/stoney bits? I seem to remember it been used in homemade mixes. I will try and findout where I got this info from.,
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... EmptyThu May 22, 2008 10:56 am

I have heard about cat litter, but wouldn't it hold moisture????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big ups to Yates...   Big ups to Yates... Empty

Back to top Go down

Big ups to Yates...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Around The Fire-
Jump to: