Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Perlite: yay or nay? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Perlite: yay or nay? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Perlite: yay or nay? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Perlite: yay or nay? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Perlite: yay or nay? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Perlite: yay or nay? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Perlite: yay or nay? Empty

Perlite: yay or nay?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Perlite: yay or nay?   Perlite: yay or nay? EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on the use of perlite as a component of potting mixture for cacti?
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Perlite: yay or nay?   Perlite: yay or nay? EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 8:57 pm

I think it is great for aerating soil and I use a lot but mainly because e don't have diatomite or other alternatives here. You can get it easily and in specific sizes. It also makes the pots lighter for handling and can be crushed by the taproots as they expand so there are still air spaces in the soil.
The probs are the dust is really very evil and irritates lungs, eyes even skin, so it must be damp when used. It is not carcinogenic like asbestos because it is amorphous as opposed to crystalline, it is actually heated basalt rock that puffs like popcorn at high temps and becomes a type of glass. Also if there is no top dressing then it will float to the top of the soil when you water so you need about 2cm of gravel on top to hold it down.
Other issues are the energy used to mine and pop it and the possibility of it blowing around in the wind and becoming litter. It lasts for ages in the environment so getting rid of old soil becomes an issue.
One last issue is that it has trace amounts of fluoride that can damage leaves on susceptible species like yucca and dragon trees but cacti have no problem wit it..
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Perlite: yay or nay?   Perlite: yay or nay? EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks cryptocarpa for your input.
Good to know it's not carcinogenic, that's a bonus, prefer not to die slowly and painfully if it can be avoided.
I have used it once on an emergency pot up and the plant in question seems happy enough. I thought it would be alright for some repotting but was wanting to check what others thought of using it also. Very happy to hear you echo my thoughts on it's usage.
Now if I can just get control of the nasty brown scale infestation which I noticed on several plants all will be good in my world. Horrible nasty stuff. I didn't get a chance to have a full inspection so tomorrow will show the extent of the problem.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Perlite: yay or nay?   Perlite: yay or nay? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Good info I will move to a better home Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Perlite: yay or nay?   Perlite: yay or nay? Empty

Back to top Go down

Perlite: yay or nay?
Page 1 of 1