Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Spraying cacti at night Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Spraying cacti at night Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Spraying cacti at night Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Spraying cacti at night Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Spraying cacti at night Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Spraying cacti at night Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Spraying cacti at night Empty

Spraying cacti at night

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Spraying cacti at night   Spraying cacti at night EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 12:48 am

The other day I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to spray cacti with fertilizer or systemic pesticides at night.

Being CAM plants their stomates are open at night and closed during the day. They have tough waxy waterproof skin which would I suppose shed most liquids. But at night when the stomates are open liquids possibly could get inside the plant more readily.

I looked it up. Some of them have their stomates widest open around about midnight. So I figure that'd be the best time for spraying! (Or maybe I could just pour it on the soil during the day sometime.)
Back to top Go down
diddi

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Spraying cacti at night   Spraying cacti at night EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 1:23 pm

with pouring in the soil, you need to ascertain the uptake method. typically if it is designed to be taken through stomates, the roots are not able to use the same type of chemical.

imho

Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Spraying cacti at night   Spraying cacti at night EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 3:44 pm

I don't know about best times etc, they all appear to be absorbed at a good rate no matter when you apply them. However I do know systemic insecticides will provide protection for the entire plant whether applied to the skin only, roots only or both.

Back to top Go down
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Spraying cacti at night   Spraying cacti at night EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Yeah it was just a thought. I figured that because the stomates are open at night then possibly the spray might be able to get in more effectively. This is only insofar as 'foliar' (stem) applications go. I know that surfactants are often added to these sprays, which suggests that the stuff just soaks in. Maybe it can't enter via a stomate at all, I really don't know.

Just another crazy theory!
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Spraying cacti at night   Spraying cacti at night EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Lots of theories are crazy 'till someone proves them true!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
Kandahar

Kandahar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Spraying cacti at night   Spraying cacti at night EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Let me know as it may be usefull...
Back to top Go down
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Spraying cacti at night   Spraying cacti at night EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 12:35 am

Well way back when I was a kid I heard that it was a good idea to spray fertiliser onto the undersides of the leaves because that's where the stomates are.

Being obsessive I looked this stuff up. Apparently entry via stomates is important for systemic surface sprays. One of the reasons they add wetting agents (eg detergent) is to break down the droplets so that they can cover more stomates. Cactus stomates open at night. Etc.

I suppose I should just try it out myself - spray some during the day, and some at night. Midnight preferably! Oh well. It'll probably give the neighbours something new to wonder about if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Spraying cacti at night   Spraying cacti at night EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 1:37 am

Bonnie said:
Quote :
Let's give them something to talk about.
Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
diddi

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Spraying cacti at night   Spraying cacti at night EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 10:01 am

charlie - why not keep a photo diary and set up some control plants and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Spraying cacti at night   Spraying cacti at night EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Sorry, I missed your post!

I'd like to set up some sort of trial. Possibly I could spray them with a high N fertiliser. That way it might be easier to see a response. Some sort of dye might work, but I'd have to look into that one. Its probably easier just stick to the fertiliser!

The problem is that I've just sold the house, so its a bad time for this sort of stuff. But when I'm settled I'll give it a go.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spraying cacti at night   Spraying cacti at night Empty

Back to top Go down

Spraying cacti at night
Page 1 of 1