Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
The Ants Show Me The Way Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
The Ants Show Me The Way Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
The Ants Show Me The Way Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
The Ants Show Me The Way Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
The Ants Show Me The Way Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
The Ants Show Me The Way Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
The Ants Show Me The Way Empty

The Ants Show Me The Way

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mitchell101

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: The Ants Show Me The Way   The Ants Show Me The Way EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 5:14 pm

Yes. That's right. Just follow the ants... and they will lead you to seed! cheers

I had no idea that my parodia sellowii which I recently inherited had seed brewing but today there were probably 20 or so ants walking all over my parodia.

So I investigated... I couldn't really see any seed or pods or anything because it was covered in wool but when I pushed the wool away with a stick I found some seed.

After carefully getting all of it out I was left with 50 or so seeds. It's my second plant to give me seed I think. The first one was an orbea variegata. I checked out my other P. sellowii but I don't think it had any seed.

Will do another post soon with what I've sown. I've got lots of other seed to sow thanks to IXOXI.
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

Registration date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: The Ants Show Me The Way   The Ants Show Me The Way EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 6:49 pm

I love a nice Parodia, any pics by a chance Mitchell?

Peace
~Kandahar
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: The Ants Show Me The Way   The Ants Show Me The Way EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 am

This is how I found out the first time my Copiapoa lauii had seeds. I managed to save a few of them, but the ants were doing as conga line all the way back to their hill, each carrying a seed on their way home. I sat for half an hour by the hole collecting the seeds back as the ants thoughtfully harvested them for me...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The Ants Show Me The Way   The Ants Show Me The Way EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 1:58 pm

I've got ants here that are jumping the gun, rather than wait for seeds the little mongrels are instead making off with the flowers antlers. Got a madly flowering M. mystax they have absolutely ravaged!
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: The Ants Show Me The Way   The Ants Show Me The Way EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 8:51 am

I hope there's enough left in the flowers to be able to pollinate despite the ants attack.
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: The Ants Show Me The Way   The Ants Show Me The Way EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:19 am

The mother plant which I collected the seed from is just over 10cm.
The Ants Show Me The Way IMG_5725
The Ants Show Me The Way IMG_5726

My other P. sellowii's with different numbers of spines:
Terribly underpotted
The Ants Show Me The Way IMG_5728
and covered in weeds (is this one also P. sellowii? It doesn't have fluff at the top)
The Ants Show Me The Way IMG_5727

Lots of my plants really need to be potted up but I don't know what to use in my mix. I need to find a pumice substitute if anyone knows of any? Tried kitty litter but cannot find the right type. I've heard that Rich-Gro aquatic mix is suitable but it needs to be crushed up.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: The Ants Show Me The Way   The Ants Show Me The Way EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:53 am

I like to use decomposed granite, and some diatomaceous earth 2:1 ratio in place of pumice or scoria.
Back to top Go down
mitchell101

PostSubject: Re: The Ants Show Me The Way   The Ants Show Me The Way EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Any idea where I could get my hands on some DG or diatomaceous earth in Melbourne?
I can get my hands on scoria. I'm pretty sure Bunnings Dandenong sells it.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: The Ants Show Me The Way   The Ants Show Me The Way EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Scoria is easy to get, but PROPER sized scoria is not. Until I found where to get good decomposed granite, I was smashing bags of scoria by sledgehammer, and then screening it for the right sized bits. Bags of DG are easy enough to find at many soil & garden centers, though they often have a lot of microparticles and need to be watered, screened & sifted to get what you want (and you can easily lose up to half the weight in the process). It's well worth the effort though, and a lot easier then smashing scoria.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ants Show Me The Way   The Ants Show Me The Way Empty

Back to top Go down

The Ants Show Me The Way
Page 1 of 1