Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
your preferred propagating sand Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
your preferred propagating sand Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
your preferred propagating sand Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
your preferred propagating sand Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
your preferred propagating sand Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
your preferred propagating sand Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
your preferred propagating sand Empty

your preferred propagating sand

Go down 
+2
Hellonasty
San Rainbow
6 posters
AuthorMessage
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: your preferred propagating sand   your preferred propagating sand EmptyThu May 08, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi all, just wondering were do you get your preferred propagating sand from?

any particular brand?

or DIY recipe?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: your preferred propagating sand   your preferred propagating sand EmptyFri May 09, 2008 12:18 am

Use any landscaping or bricklaying sand. River sand is ok but bricklaying sand has varying size particles and does the job well.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: your preferred propagating sand   your preferred propagating sand EmptyFri May 09, 2008 10:53 am

I use Nepean River Sand (I suspect that this is a Sydney thing as the Nepean is a NSW river) which is actually a bricklayers product and has various sized particles. I get a 20kg bag for $5 at my local Mitre 10, only annoying thing is it tends to need to be seived and washed, but it's good for the price.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: your preferred propagating sand   your preferred propagating sand EmptyFri May 09, 2008 6:23 pm

dose the bricklayer / landscaping sand come in grads, or is it one fits all? I am based in Melbourne at the mo hope my local hardware shop carries something like this, and I prey to god it doesn't come out of the yarra...
sieved and washed keeping the bigger bits, sterilization?
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: your preferred propagating sand   your preferred propagating sand EmptyFri May 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Yeah keep the larger sized stuff I don't usually sterilise, but it is recommended.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
sacred pedro

sacred pedro

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-04-30

PostSubject: Re: your preferred propagating sand   your preferred propagating sand EmptySun May 11, 2008 9:02 pm

knowing what microwaves do to food nutririonally, wouldnt this have the same effect on the soil? stupid question i know.
i might try steaming mine when i do it scratch
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: your preferred propagating sand   your preferred propagating sand EmptySun May 11, 2008 9:07 pm

Microwaves heat water vapour by agitating it with radiation in the low GHz until it gets hot. Your sand should be cleaner and tastier when it's microwaved, but I wouldn't advise eating it. Soil particles could get burned if "cooked" for too long - don't overdo it!

Nutrition content is not a concern while germinating seed initially, its a nice haven for cacti roots to get air and water once planted.
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: your preferred propagating sand   your preferred propagating sand EmptySun May 11, 2008 9:11 pm

I'm fairly positive the main aim of the sterlisation is to kill the bugs right... Well some bugs have this nasty habbit of forming cysts that protect them over the harsh times.

Steaming would probably get the soil to 100'C but the subsequent condensation would probably just encourage the bugs if they survive.

You're probably better getting a seed raising mix or following a soil sterlising guide - I read one on here the other day.

I baked my sand at quite high temperatures for quite some time. This makes sure that cysts etc die.

Though I am quite convinced my sand is free of parasites anyway Razz
Back to top Go down
sacred pedro

sacred pedro

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-04-30

PostSubject: Re: your preferred propagating sand   your preferred propagating sand EmptySun May 11, 2008 9:31 pm

thanks for the tip, was the sand dry before you put it in the oven? how long did you bake it for?
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: your preferred propagating sand   your preferred propagating sand EmptyMon May 12, 2008 8:39 am

The sand was dry yes - but it was plucked from the side of a river bank. It was baked in a roasting dish (haha, don't tell the misses Razz) for around 30 minutes until golden brown then placed in the sunlight for UV to do the rest!

Because it's not silt or clay, the heat won't cause any transferral of nutrients or change the structure. The drying out process kills live bacteria, seeds, etc and the heating past 100'C for over 5 minutes (preferably 30 minutes) should destroy the possibility of cysts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: your preferred propagating sand   your preferred propagating sand Empty

Back to top Go down

your preferred propagating sand
Page 1 of 1