Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Should I be concerned about ants? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Should I be concerned about ants? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Should I be concerned about ants? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Should I be concerned about ants? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Should I be concerned about ants? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Should I be concerned about ants? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Should I be concerned about ants? Empty

Should I be concerned about ants?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kristy4740

Kristy4740

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-01-04

PostSubject: Should I be concerned about ants?   Should I be concerned about ants? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Off and on I have noticed from time to time very small black ants climbing over my plants, normally it is only one or two but today I noticed quite a few climbing in and over my plants. None of my plants have any damage /yet/ so I was not concerned. They are the very small ants found in Far North Queensland. Not sure for the proper name but we all call them "sticky ants"

I didnt think they would do anything so have pretty much ignored them.

But now after checking google Im not so sure... should I be proactive instead of waiting for damage and being reactive.

Will they even want to have a chew on my cacti?

If you think I should spray my greenhouses could you please recommend a good product as believe it or not but I have never sprayed them before as "touch wood" have never had any bug issues.

Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Should I be concerned about ants?   Should I be concerned about ants? EmptyWed May 09, 2012 8:00 am

Ants don't usually pose a great problem to the plants by themselves. They're attracted to the nectar glands that some Cactis like Fero's have.

That being said, here's three reasons not to want ants in your greenhouse -

1. It's said that ants can actively spread mealy bug throughout your as they "farm" them and move them from plant to plant

2. They will steal any seed you plants produce. To the point of cutting open the pods and taking it just as it gets ripe!

3. They can nest in your pots and remove the soil from the plants...
Back to top Go down
void_genesis

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Should I be concerned about ants?   Should I be concerned about ants? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:06 pm

I am thinking of putting a layer of grease around the bottom of my next plant house and making sure no shrubs lean on it to keep the ants out. They definitely bring in scale and mealy bug from outside, so if you are being very careful with quarantine then it can be worth doing. If you are bringing in whole potted plants from other growers without unpotting, soaking in insecticide, potting in fresh clean soil and then still keeping them apart from your main collection for a few months then I wouldn't worry about them- most pests are brought in on infected plants.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I be concerned about ants?   Should I be concerned about ants? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I be concerned about ants?
Page 1 of 1