Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
A couple of stinkies Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
A couple of stinkies Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
A couple of stinkies Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
A couple of stinkies Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
A couple of stinkies Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
A couple of stinkies Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
A couple of stinkies Empty

A couple of stinkies

Go down 
+6
Navajoa
Lachy
cactuscook
Hellonasty
mughal113
trigonus II
10 posters
AuthorMessage
trigonus II

trigonus II

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Here are a couple of my stinkies Laughing

I don't grow many succulents, but I do grow a few of these. I think they are Stapelia sp. & Huernia sp. but not 100% sure on that. ID's appreciated. I also have a large flowered one that has got flower buds on it. I will take pics when it blooms.

A couple of stinkies P1000611

A couple of stinkies P1000612
Back to top Go down
mughal113

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-09-23

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 2:21 am

1. Orbea variegata
2. Could be Orbea speciosa...
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 8:32 am

Cool plants mate. Not the slightest clue for ID.... What mughal said Smile
Back to top Go down
trigonus II

trigonus II

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 1:55 pm

Geez I was totally off on those haha shows how much I know about succulents. I do like the stinkies though, they are pretty cool.

Will post pics of the big one when it blooms.

Thanks mughal!

HN they are quite attractive, in a rotten meat sort of way haha the larger one in the top pic is the smelliest, but hasn't been that bad this time, one year it keep stinking me out every time I went in the greenhouse. Though I have a new greenhouse now, it has better ventilation, so that's probably why they don't reek that much.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 2:33 pm

They are cool looking flowers. Funny how nature works they stink like rotten neat to attract flies for pollination.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 3:51 pm

The first one is definitely Orbea variegata - and I think I have the same clone growing in my collection. Mercifully, my one is growing in the garden bed and not in a hanging basket, which seems to keep the smell from wafting around too much.

I absolutely love the flower on the second one!
Back to top Go down
trigonus II

trigonus II

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 5:09 pm

I actually noticed a few smaller flies hanging around the large flower the other day. I wonder if they pollinated it?

Are the flowers self sterile?

Or can I pollinate them off the one flower and get some seeds. Hmm I might experiment with cross pollination for a hybrid.

I had a close look at the flowers and to be honest I am stumped. They look so different from regular flowers, cactus or otherwise. I had difficulty recognising which was the stigma and which was the stamen. Usually it's easy as can be. Any clues?

While I had them out inspecting the flowers I had a close sniff of the the Orbea variegata, poo-ee! What a stench. Gotta love these plants.

Haha Lachy, the smell ain't too bad. Bad enough I suppose Laughing The second one has smaller flowers, but they are bristly all over the petals. Pretty bizarre. That one doesn't seem too smell too bad. I can give you a cutting or small plant of that one if you like?
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Quote :
I actually noticed a few smaller flies hanging around the large flower the other day. I wonder if they pollinated it?

Are the flowers self sterile?

Or can I pollinate them off the one flower and get some seeds. Hmm I might experiment with cross pollination for a hybrid.

I reckon they either self pollinate or hybridise really readily. I've got seedpods on my O.variegata this season; however they seem to take about six months to form and then withoud warning they rupture, sending a cloud of feathery, dandelion-like seeds drifting across the backyard.

I wonder if in ten years time the neighbourhood will be colonised with these things? Laughing
Back to top Go down
mughal113

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 8:12 pm

You can easily save the seeds by covering the pods with a stocking right after they start changing their appearance. They'll start turning brownish and look drier.
I have never got a pod of Huernia zebrina yet so I believe they are not self fertile. This year I have got 4 different species and I have my fingers crossed hoping the local insects find a way to pollinate them :-)
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm

The first is definitely Orbea (Stapelia) Variegata. The second is more likely Huernia hystrix.

The will hybridise and that's why Stapeliads are hard to get good seed for. They are very tough to hand pollinate but every so often you will find seed horns on your plants of unknown parentage!

For the most part they seem to be self sterile, however I have Psuedolithos mccoyi which produces seed horns without even flowering ! And better yet the seed is viable !
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 12:30 pm

I was mowing the back lawn this morning and I was wondering where all the bluebottle flies were coming from. Then I saw this guy...

A couple of stinkies Stapel10

My neighbours must love me...
Back to top Go down
mughal113

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 12:25 am

Thats a gorgeous stinky flower
Back to top Go down
trigonus II

trigonus II

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Nice one Lachy. I think this in the one that I mentioned was going to open soon that I have, still waiting on the bud to open. What is the genus and species?
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 7:59 pm

I think it is Stapelia grandiflora but it could be a hybrid between S. grandiflora and S. gigantea.
Back to top Go down
trigonus II

trigonus II

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 6:09 pm

A couple of stinkies P1000710
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 6:59 pm

That's a beauty... S. gigantea, right?
Back to top Go down
trigonus II

trigonus II

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah, I think it is. Not 100% sure though. I can now see that it's open that it is a bit different to the one in your pic. The flower is massive at 30cm from point to point. It has a very....ummm....interesting aroma too Laughing different to the Orbea variegata. It's had the bud forming for a while and has finally opened. There is also another small bud growing.

Over the last couple of weeks since I have posted the first pics, the Orbea has been flowering quite a lot, and let me tell you, my greenhouse really stank. Nice flowers though!
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Well, it looks like the seeds that came from last seasons' O. variegata were viable... when the pods split open they scattered dozens of fluffy seeds across the garden. Whilst weeding the beds today I discovered I now have dozens of seedlings!
Back to top Go down
scarab

scarab

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 am

sounds familiar lachy i had a prolific o. variegata in perth, it loved that climate. grown in pots it would flower constantly. self fertile, several pods worth of seed wind-dispersed & self-sowed in the ground
Back to top Go down
Kwerk

Kwerk

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-10-03

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 7:52 pm

I wouldn't mind doing some stapeliad swapping if anyone's keen.

If you want your stinky plant mind blown, check Martin Heigan's Flickr page: flic.kr/s/aHsiDgXecK

I'm really gunning for a Stapelia flavopurpurea if anyone has one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifordetail/
Kandahar

Kandahar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 9:34 am

raincheck, lol.
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Unfortunately my S. leendertziae looks like it didn't make it through winter, mostly all of the center stem is turning to mush. Might be able to save a few cuttings if I'm lucky.
Back to top Go down
Kandahar

Kandahar

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 5:37 pm

hope they pull through, mate. Nothing worse after putting so much time/love into em and they turn feral on ya.

~Kanda
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A couple of stinkies   A couple of stinkies Empty

Back to top Go down

A couple of stinkies
Page 1 of 1