HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Is this Opuntia ficus-indica ?
Seed germination and the first 3 months Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

» New Forum Now Open!!
Seed germination and the first 3 months Emptyby Eck Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 am

» Romanian Online Journal - Xerophilia
Seed germination and the first 3 months Emptyby eduart Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

» Wanted: Pereskia Aculeata (Not Godseffiana)
Seed germination and the first 3 months Emptyby EightySeven Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

» White spots on my cacti
Seed germination and the first 3 months Emptyby cactgustim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

» Problem with cacti
Seed germination and the first 3 months Emptyby nzivanovic Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Seed germination and the first 3 months

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Perespilot

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-01-30

Seed germination and the first 3 months Empty
PostSubject: Seed germination and the first 3 months   Seed germination and the first 3 months EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 9:14 am

I have alot of seeds germinating at present, I am using the sealed takeaway container method under 20 watt cfl lights, I put one small hole in the lid and spray the soil medium (sand and peat mix) with tank water when ever it seems to get a bit dry, so far I have had excellent success, no rot no mould and some good growth. the temp with the light on is around 30 degrees at night probably down to 23-25.

My query is when do you remove the lid of the containers permanently? I was thinking at about 3 months but is that too early or too late?

A shot of my indoor propagating set up. looks a bit different now but you get the idea.
Seed germination and the first 3 months DSCF2397
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Seed germination and the first 3 months   Seed germination and the first 3 months EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 10:32 am

Awesome little light set-up !! Very cool.

I find it depends what your growing,

For columns and larger plants, I remove it when they start to bump into the lid.

For slow growers and miniatures, after 6 months I put some extra holes in the lid and keep it on until 10-12months.

For the rest I take it off at 5-6 months.

Hope this help
HN

My Cacti Blog, please come visit me.

http://astrophytum-and-friends.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
Perespilot

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Seed germination and the first 3 months   Seed germination and the first 3 months EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks for that I was worried that the lid was more for the germination point and might provide too much humidity for some sp after a few months.
Some seedlings seem to grow quite fast Parodia grow twice as fast as Gymnocalycium and I can't get over the size of Astrophytum seedlings, they are instantly massive in comparison. This set up has really good heat they seem to go great guns. Well so far anyway. It will chew a bit of power but I figure there are far more expensive hobbies out there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seed germination and the first 3 months   Seed germination and the first 3 months Empty

Back to top Go down

Seed germination and the first 3 months
Page 1 of 1