Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Large Unidentified Monstrose Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Large Unidentified Monstrose Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Large Unidentified Monstrose Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Large Unidentified Monstrose Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Large Unidentified Monstrose Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Large Unidentified Monstrose Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Large Unidentified Monstrose Empty

Large Unidentified Monstrose

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cristata

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Large Unidentified Monstrose   Large Unidentified Monstrose EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 1:40 pm

Hey there everyone,

This is my first post here! Smile

After finding out that my friend had cacti on his property (that he hadn't grown and doesn't really care about) I had to go and investigate. Among the epiphites, Oputunia's and some large as yet unidentified columnar species I found this large freak. Sorry about the blurriness and general lack of quality of these pics (my camera sucks and there is a lot of grass and other trees growing around this magnificent specimen) but I hope you will enjoy.

CrestLarge Unidentified Monstrose Img_2212

General GrowthLarge Unidentified Monstrose Img_2213

Large Unidentified Monstrose Img_2214

This cactus is probably 3-4 Metres tall and has spawned a few children around it, also, does anyone have any idea what it might be?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Large Unidentified Monstrose   Large Unidentified Monstrose EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:21 pm

Yes I do, your plant is a Cereus Peruvianus (monstrose and crest). Quite a nice one at that, it looks huge !! A reasonably common plant throughout Australia.

What other columnars are there ? Would love to see them.

HN
Back to top Go down
Chef

Chef

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Large Unidentified Monstrose   Large Unidentified Monstrose EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 4:11 pm

thats a beautiful plant there!, ive got one but no where near as big as that let alone cresting as well Smile
nice find
Back to top Go down
Cristata

PostSubject: Re: Large Unidentified Monstrose   Large Unidentified Monstrose EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Wow, thanks heaps HN!!!!, really glad to be able to put a name to it, and cheers Chef, I knew some of you would enjoy it Smile

At the moment this is the only other photo I have of one of the other large columnar cacti and it shows the bit I hacked at. Also note the ~5metre yellow flowering Oputunia.

This photo is not of the largest part and was really just a test shot for me to try and set up the camera.Large Unidentified Monstrose Img_2215

I will get more (good) photos of them all tomorrow and then post them (they are starting to flower too!), but in the mean time is this also a Cereus Peruvianus? (I know it's probably hard to tell from such a low quality photo)
Back to top Go down
Chef

Chef

PostSubject: Re: Large Unidentified Monstrose   Large Unidentified Monstrose EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 7:48 pm

Im pretty sure (but im no expert) it is a Cereus Peruvianus.. i have one that is starting to get large flower buds on it so i will post some pics here if thats ok when it does.
I think that is the 'regular' version of the monstrose

Chef
Back to top Go down
Cristata

PostSubject: Re: Large Unidentified Monstrose   Large Unidentified Monstrose EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:32 pm

Chef, please feel free to post your pics here as I would love to see them.
This plant and others of the same type are also starting to produce flower buds so this should make identification heaps easier Smile
Back to top Go down
Chef

Chef

PostSubject: Re: Large Unidentified Monstrose   Large Unidentified Monstrose EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 1:37 pm

I cant seem to "host" an image, when i click upload everything just goes blank.. ill check my setting ect
but here is a link to what looks identical to mine, the only difference is my bud is 6cm long maybe more...
will post pic once i have it figured out Wink
Back to top Go down
Chef

Chef

PostSubject: Re: Large Unidentified Monstrose   Large Unidentified Monstrose EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 1:40 pm

http://photos2.fotosearch.com/bthumb/PXT/PXT019/WE091006.jpg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Large Unidentified Monstrose   Large Unidentified Monstrose Empty

Back to top Go down

Large Unidentified Monstrose
Page 1 of 1