Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? Empty

Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????

Go down 
+6
Hellonasty
migo
cooky173
blowng
Navajoa
Philocacti
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Philocacti

Philocacti

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-01-08

PostSubject: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 6:07 am

I have had a this Stapelia lepida for some years now and it's started flowering 3 years ago. A month and a half ago i decided to cut parts of it and transplant them in their own pots.

It produced this structure a few weeks ago and i thought it's just another flower bud howerever this structure started growing over the weeks and it doesn't look like a flower bud anymore.

Does anyone know what it is?

Here is the usual flower bud
Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? P1030316

A flower
Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? P1000527

The unknown growth
Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? P1030318
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 8:51 am

Congratulations, you're a parent !! :-)

That's a pair of seedhorns...In a while they'll split and release the seeds, each with a bit of fluff so that they can be carried away by the wind....

Enjoy !
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am

Wow never seen a Stapelia pod before, even stranger than the flowers... the flies must have done their job!
Back to top Go down
Philocacti

Philocacti

Registration date : 2010-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 3:22 pm

thanks people Smile

how can i harvest these before they split open?

I don't want to harvest to soon or after they split open and i lose some of the seeds.

Quote :
Wow never seen a Stapelia pod before, even stranger than the flowers... the flies must have done their job!

i totally agree, 1st time i saw its flower i was so amazed. Looked like something reptilian, now these alien fruit horns
Back to top Go down
cooky173

cooky173

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 5:30 pm

I think you can put a rubber band over the tip to stop it coming apart.
Back to top Go down
migo

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 9:02 am

I would like to know where this plant can be purchased. My mother had one for years and it both bloomed and had the seed pods.

I have been looking for one close to ten years.

Would appreciate help in this matter. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 10:40 am

Where are you located ?
Back to top Go down
Chef

Chef

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:42 pm

i am the same, i have bought one and its on its way but i want to collect as many different varietys as i can... does anyone collect some here that might maybe wanna send a cut away?
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 10:58 am

Maybe you could put a sandwich baggie over the seedpods, and loosely twisttie it at the base, so everything can still grow, but when it is ripe and splits open you won't lose any of the seeds. I'd be hesitant to rubber band the tips because I wouldn't want to squeese the seeds, or interfere with it ripening process.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
void_genesis

Registration date : 2012-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 7:55 pm

A band-aid works best in my experience. Wrap it around the middle of each horn. That way the pod can't split open and no seeds will escape. The seeds will stay nice and dry too. A clothes peg may also do the job but might be too heavy.
Back to top Go down
diddi

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 10:41 am

looks like varigata?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????   Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ????????????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stapelia lepida weird growth ....... ?????????????
Page 1 of 1