Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Trichocereus scopulicola Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Trichocereus scopulicola Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Trichocereus scopulicola Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Trichocereus scopulicola Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Trichocereus scopulicola Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Trichocereus scopulicola Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Trichocereus scopulicola Empty

Trichocereus scopulicola

Go down 
+2
Lachy
lewis
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Here is a local scop in Melbourne's suburbs
As you can see it loves the climate.. fattest one i've ever seen. cyclops
Trichocereus scopulicola 01510
Trichocereus scopulicola 01610
Trichocereus scopulicola 01710
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 4:59 pm

That's a real beauty. I really like the "chunkiness" of this particular species' growth habit.

I do like scops as landscaping plants; I think they're a good choice for gardeners who want to grow cacti but are put off by the spines. A kid- and pet-friendly cactus, perhaps?
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Quote :
I think they're a good choice for gardeners who want to grow cacti but are put off by the spines. A kid- and pet-friendly cactus, perhaps?

I think you are on to a winner there Lach. Very Happy

though i think bunnings are ahead of you though..
They are probs the commonest seen Tricho in Bunnings... at least here in Melbourne, although I'm inclined to believe that a lot of what they sell is actually scop x pachanoi.

they are not that common as garden plants just yet... pachanoi is commoner
and spachianus is commoner still
in terms of trichos
but Opuntia ficus-indica and Cereus peruvianus are winning in terms of general cacti.
at least in Vic.

Interestingly I heard and saw a pic years back of a successful cross between T. scop and Echinopsis subdenudata (semi-nudum or whatever its name is)... the common one that's almost spineless with the big white areoles and astro-like appearance with the white flower.... interesting to think that the trichos just a taller version of a globular echinopsis. Would have been easier if they were never differentiated at all and were all called Echinopsis from the start. Smile

Also I heard that this is now classed by some under Echinopsis lageniformis (new name for Trichocereus bridgesii). I guess if you imagine a normal bridgesii without spines they look pretty similar don't they. kinda like a spiness lageniformis cultivar.

Actually I've been pondering this for quite a while... is it possible that the ex. Trichocereus Echinopsis group; pachanoi/bridgesii/scopulicola/peruvianus and possibly more are all just different forms of the one extremely variable species? Question
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 11:59 pm

Quote :
They are probs the commonest seen Tricho in Bunnings... at least here in Melbourne, although I'm inclined to believe that a lot of what they sell is actually scop x pachanoi.

I've got a few of the Bunnings plants... and I agree. I don't believe they are a pure species at all, and I strongly suspect they're pach x scop too. My samples are only seedlings so their morphology probably isn't a reliable indicator; however at this stage it seems that they tend towards 6- or 7-ribbed forms (all the scops I have seen are 5-ribbed), and the ribs are less pronounced thant the common PC pedro yet more defined than the structure seen in scops.

Quote :
Actually I've been pondering this for quite a while... is it possible that the ex. Trichocereus Echinopsis group; pachanoi/bridgesii/scopulicola/peruvianus and possibly more are all just different forms of the one extremely variable species?

The more I look at the whole Trichocereus genus, the more I tend to agree with you. The variation among the forms of pachanoi strongly suggests to me that the Trichs have some significant variation even at species level. The analogy that's been running through my mind is this: consider dog breeds. Compare a Chihuahua to a St Bernard to a Corgi... aside from basic skeletal structure these three animals have little in common with each other; yet they are all Canis familiaris. The differences - at least to my eye - are far slighter between Trichocereus.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Yeah I'd be interested to see what these scop x pachs look like when they mature a bit, mine are still only very small seedlings also.

I quite like the dog breed analogy, which would make even more sense if at least some of these Trichocereus species are semi-domesticated in South America. Smile
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:01 pm

I too think you got lots of scop and scop-pach hybrids in ozland.

And yeah, the limits of said [+more] Trichocereus species delve in other species . These are most probably a couple of species that have hybridised between them a lot

The fact that you in Ozland got many scop-pach hybrids is probably from the fact you could not import easily anything from a point and on, so you hybridised what you had, while I am not so sure scopoculica and pachanoi areas intercross in the wild....

Beautiful plant btw....

Scops tend a lot to increase/decrease their width don't they?
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Quote :
A kid- and pet-friendly cactus, perhaps?

i need the biggest and baddest spines in my house to deter the kid & pet or at least leave a lasting impression so they wont go near them ever again Trichocereus scopulicola Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
pricklypear

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 pm

lewis wrote:
Here is a local scop in Melbourne's suburbs
As you can see it loves the climate.. fattest one i've ever seen. cyclops
Does anyone know of a local mail order supplier for T.scopulicola seeds? While plants can be got from Collectors Corner, the seeds appear to be scarce. Which is strange considering the scop's unique appearance. Why seeds? - I find it's much more fun that way.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
pricklypear

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Lachy wrote:
Quote :

I've got a few of the Bunnings plants... and I agree. I don't believe they are a pure species at all, and I strongly suspect they're pach x scop too. My samples are only seedlings so their morphology probably isn't a reliable indicator; however at this stage it seems that they tend towards 6- or 7-ribbed forms (all the scops I have seen are 5-ribbed), and the ribs are less pronounced thant the common PC pedro yet more defined than the structure seen in scops.
It may be that Bunnings and other chain stores use different suppliers depending on the state. For example my local Bunnings get their cacti primarily from Collectors Corner and I've never seen any tricho species on offer there. I did however spot a Collectors Corner T.Scop at the local KMart and bought it. The dark skin color and texture is very different from other trichos and has the distinctive fat almost spineless ribs. When I got it it was starting to lose a rib - from 6 to 5.

Two summers later it's now at 21 cm. Thus far I've had it under cover. At what size would it be safe to put outside? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 10:16 pm

A good portion of each Bunnings inventory depends on the distributers, and the sales people that work the accounts at each store. 3 of the Bunnings in my area have (for the time being) dropped the cacti from Hamilton's and only have Collector's Corner ones now. That was the decision of the salesperson for this region, is what I was told.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:25 am

Quote :
Two summers later it's now at 21 cm. Thus far I've had it under cover. At what size would it be safe to put outside? Thanks.

I grow virtually all my plants outside, fully exposed to the elements, and I am yet to see any rotting or loss of trichocereus species.

The only things that you really have to watch out for is sunburn - really only an issue on plants during the height of summer, and even then only on plants that are not used to bright sun - and to ensure that your soil has adequate drainage. Scops seem to be the most tolerant of excess water, so I reckon you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:41 am

By the way, Collector's Corner has a bunch of T. scopulicola for sale on ebay right now for $6 each.
Back to top Go down
pricklypear

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Lachy wrote:
I grow virtually all my plants outside, fully exposed to the elements, and I am yet to see any rotting or loss of trichocereus species.

The only things that you really have to watch out for is sunburn - really only an issue on plants during the height of summer, and even then only on plants that are not used to bright sun - and to ensure that your soil has adequate drainage. Scops seem to be the most tolerant of excess water, so I reckon you will be fine.
Thanks for the advice. I'll place it where it's a little shaded and gets morning sun. Will probably wait until next spring - no point tempting the snails Smile
Back to top Go down
pricklypear

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 8:22 pm

IXOXI wrote:
By the way, Collector's Corner has a bunch of T. scopulicola for sale on ebay right now for $6 each.
Yes. It appears to be one of their regular lines on ebay. One assumes they're growing and selling a lot of them.

Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 8:48 pm

I just bought a couple of them Smile
Back to top Go down
pricklypear

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 10:18 pm

IXOXI wrote:
I just bought a couple of them Smile
That's what I would do - given the postage cost for one Wink

I hope you like them. It's certainly one of my favourite trichs for looks and build.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trichocereus scopulicola   Trichocereus scopulicola Empty

Back to top Go down

Trichocereus scopulicola
Page 1 of 1