Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Empty

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland

Go down 
+9
blowng
Darren
TasV
CactusPolecat
Navajoa
AmnesiA
Lachy
Hellonasty
cactuscook
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptyFri May 14, 2010 11:40 pm

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4605856015_0c318a89b0Cephalocereus senilis these next few photos of some lovely specimans growing outdoors on a lovely property in the riverland. The garden is the work of thirty plus years the plants are growing without any watering other than natural rainfall which is very little. Very hot summers are followed by extremely cold nights. Some of the plants over the years have succombed to the cold weather and alot of succulents and gymnos were lost in a rabbit plague in the early 1980's. The garden consists of many large ferocacti, espostoa's, echinocereus, cephalocereus and trichocereus and lots of other nice cacti but ill let the photos do the talking.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptyFri May 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4605856009_f8c5a80d47By the way ithe C Senilis in the last pick tallest offset was about 1.3m to give you an idea of how tall it is i estimate 5.5m or more but wait there is a bigger one. There is a C Senilis bottom left with a cephalium will show a better pick of cephalium later.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptyFri May 14, 2010 11:59 pm

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4605856027_da9fdf29edOne of a few very nice ferocacti i love those heavy spines they thrive in conditions which must be very close to that of there natural environment.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat May 15, 2010 12:05 am

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4605856023_9f5b743457Ferocactus pilosus, i think the last pic was gracilis?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat May 15, 2010 4:19 pm

Wow some very nice plants here, those feros are awesome.
Is this your collection ?
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat May 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Wow, that looks like a great collection. It's refreshing to see hard-grown plants in the ground... so much of our effort goes to producing greenhouse specimens. Pics like this show just how well cacti have adapted to a harsh environment.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat May 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4607836334_54995304baI think this is a denmoza and its not my collection i wish maybe one day but this property belongs to a former member of cactus society. Im lucky to be able to visit to take photos i promised i wouldnt disclose the actuall location. Its amazing to see how these plants not only survive but some actually thrive in these conditions.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat May 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4607836332_23edf386dd
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat May 15, 2010 9:06 pm

That's really impressive. Thanks for sharing some awesome snaps! There are quite a few secret cacti gardens around australia the are kept on the hush, it's a shame really that as a grower/collector we have to protect our efforts from potential thieves. And I must say Im not an angel I have taken my share of unwelcomed cuttings in my very early years. I have a much greater respect now days but I wish there was not such a bad attachment to value. I remember my Nana's orchid collection of over 50yrs was stolen from her new house a week before mothers day. Real nice thing to do. anyway awesome garden! glad you could share.
-A
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat May 15, 2010 9:23 pm

This garden really does need to be seen to be appreciated, it's been set up very well with terraces and paths and makes good use of what I think is a disused quarry. Not sure why the owner doesn't want it publicised these days as it is pretty well known in C&S circles already and has been the object of organised bus trips etc. Anyway, it's best that we respect their wishes I guess...maybe something bad has happened recently, or maybe they're just tired of people wanting to visit (which probably would be a pain!).
I was very impressed by this garden, especially to see so many spectacular mature columnar cacti including a very impressive Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum, and loads of good sized Fero's and Echinocactus...

Last edited by Navajoa on Sat May 15, 2010 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat May 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4607836330_3288a03278
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat May 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4607836328_e6fa46a707 Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat May 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4607836324_9d74b7b2c1It is a lovely place and there are organised trips still only with permisson. And that way it can stay lovely for many years to come. This espostoa is one of many. Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat May 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4608854692_369a9781bc Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySun May 16, 2010 8:07 am

Truly awesome place, I've seen pics of this garden before. The plants certainly are impressive and the pics could easily be mistaken for habitat pics.

CP
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySun May 16, 2010 9:56 am

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4608854690_6a20ae2aedGolden balls Echinocactus grussonii imagine falling into the middle of these. Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySun May 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4609843729_c29d89f159
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySun May 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland 4609843731_c966eb35ca
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptyTue May 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Imagine weeding around them Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptyTue May 18, 2010 10:02 pm

the good thing about a place like south australia and the riverland is that the climate is so harsh the weeds dont survive too well. its great!!
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 9:49 am

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Terryl10To give you an idea i am six foot tall.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 9:51 am

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Terryl11I love the cephalacereus senilis.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 9:54 am

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Terryl12
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 9:56 am

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Terryl13Cephalacereus senilis with its cephalium.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:01 am

Apparently in habitat to collect the seeds locals used to chop of the tops of these magnificent plants and now it has the effect that it is very hard to obtain seeds from now due to the chopping of mature tops with the cephaliums what a shame. The cephalium on this is approx 5.5m above the ground so it would be difficult to pollinate let alone collect the seeds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor cactus garden in riverland   Outdoor cactus garden in riverland Empty

Back to top Go down

Outdoor cactus garden in riverland
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next