Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Seed viabilty Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Seed viabilty Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Seed viabilty Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Seed viabilty Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Seed viabilty Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Seed viabilty Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Seed viabilty Empty

Seed viabilty

Go down 
+2
Hellonasty
cactuscook
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Seed viabilty Empty
PostSubject: Seed viabilty   Seed viabilty EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:17 pm

I would be interested in experiences people have had with seed viability. I have heard that most astrophytums are only good for a year or two max then ive heard of lithops seed getting good germination after fifteen years. Let us know what ya think. Seed viabilty Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Seed viabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seed viabilty   Seed viabilty EmptySun May 09, 2010 11:43 pm

I only have limited experience in this area but think your premise is spot on. Some seed will last 6 months while other will last 10+ years.

I have read about many "Seed Banks" being in cold places such as Antarctica, I would assume the cold will help preserve and slow down the degeneration of your seeds. From my experience I have sowed 1 week old Astro seed with 90+% germination and 2year old astro seed with much the same result.

As for Ariocarpus seed I think it is poor in the beginning and become "good" after 6ish months and then after 3+ years goes off and gives poor germination.

Maybe the freezer is the solution Smile
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Seed viabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seed viabilty   Seed viabilty EmptyTue May 11, 2010 7:57 am

Asclepiads and Frailea seem to go "off" very quickly, and I believe seed of Pediocactus, Toumeya and Sclerocactus need to be as fresh as possible to get good germination, but I think generally things last longer than is commonly thought. I just sowed a heap of 2.5 year old Copiapoa seed and it came up like absolute cress!
I've brought Mammillaria theresae and luethyi up from seed, and had reasonable success with the Mexican miniatures like Aztekium, Arios, Blossfeldia and Geohintonia but one group I struggle totally with is the Mammillaria saboe-haudeana-goldii complex. I have tried seed so many times of these but always with zero germination. Anyone had any success with these??
The Opuntias are also a pain in the you know what ! So hard, but I think they are more about giving them the right conditions and pre-treatment rather than age...
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Seed viabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seed viabilty   Seed viabilty EmptyMon May 17, 2010 10:31 pm

I was reading an old cactus book it said echinocactus texensis seed readily germinated after ten years. I have kedrostris africana caudiciform seed from 2005 and had nearly 100% germination. Also ferocatus seed at 60%+ after five years storage. Pachypodium lamerei seed that is 18months + at 90% germination. Ariocarpus that is four years old i had 80%. I sowed dioscorea seed had 90% germination in may last year so i sowed more in early june had no germination so i left the foam box under shade cloth then noticed after a big rain some had started to geminate. Sowed more dioscorea seed 40 days ago no germination yet it does take around a month to germinate but i think it is more to do with conditions. Euphorbia obesa seed that was one year old seemed to germinate better than fresh seed now have two year old seed that germinates well. Sorry got a bit of track and started talking about succulents. I have had 70% germination with gymno and notocactus seed that is three years old. In saying all of this i do think it is how you store your seed dry,airtight and cool.
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Seed viabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seed viabilty   Seed viabilty EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:18 am

I got a seed capsule of Matucana madisoniorum dated 92 in 2005 and it gave good germination.Fresh seed of this species and many others gives poor germination. I have also found with Ecereus rigidissimus that fresh seed and six month old seed produced virtually no germination but at two years old germination was good. Maybe it is inhibitors that need some sort of chemical scarification or time to degrade. Another possibility is after ripening or need for a period of cold.
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Seed viabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seed viabilty   Seed viabilty EmptyTue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm

maybe we should buy a property down in antarctica and i will go and live there and look after all your seeds Seed viabilty Icon_biggrin ill tell my wife i am moving my cacti out of the house and down to antarctica... she might think thats a good option!!
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Seed viabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seed viabilty   Seed viabilty EmptyTue May 18, 2010 9:49 pm

I would also like to know when viability kicks in. I have a Mam. bocasana that is very self-fertile... every flower forms a capsule. Thing is they don't stay on the plant long as the slightest bump seems to knock them off. They grow really quickly from a green swelling to suddenly poking out as a long thin pink capsule. This is when they break off. As they stay on longer the capsules turn darker pink but I have had quite a few break off when just a pale whitish pink. The seeds in the pale ones are a brown colour whereas the seeds in the darker ones are black. So I wonder whether the brown ones have any viability and when, in general, viability kicks in. With rose seeds, there is some research to indicate that viability kicks in some time before they are fully mature and successful germination can occur as soon as 60 days after polination. In general I like to wait until the hips are 120 days old min but at this stage germination inhibitors have set in and the seeds require cold stratification to germinate. Sowing them early, in some case, prevents the need for cold strtification because these germination inhibitors haven't formed. I haven't read that cacti seeds require any pre-treatment but do any show tendencies towards higher germination rates at a very early stage.. I guess this varies from species to species...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Seed viabilty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seed viabilty   Seed viabilty Empty

Back to top Go down

Seed viabilty
Page 1 of 1